Yet another GIF problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another GIF problem

It seems Irfanview doesn't like this animated gif. The bottom fifth or so is totally missing.

I downloaded the other version of Irfanview from the other animated gif thread, not no luck. In fact I updated from 3.98 to 4.00.

I created it with Virtualdub. The gif works in IE and firefox.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...8f8a0c76b7.gif

Same here, and I also have the "fixed" version. It looks fine in K-Meleon
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Confirmed.
      Firefox ok, but with IV there was a fluctuating part of the bottom in black.

I looked in the header of this GIF file, and noticed an unusual addition of the string 'Netscape2'.
      Animation Shop refused this file also. And IV wasn't able to extract all the frames, gave only one, with the same missing pixels.

It obviously is a deviation of the format. Is this Virtualdub maybe designed specially for use in browsers ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It's supposed to be very good for editing AVI files, but GIF import and export seem to be recent features, so there are probably some rough edges. I still haven't given it a try, though I have meant to. I don't do much animation
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

A recent feature. Well.. Maybe some discrepancy with transparancy.
          I don't use animation much either. But it can be fun to play with :
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

netscape2.0

from http://davidsimmons.com/tips/081097/

Netscape Communications, Inc. introduced an application extension to the GIF89A specification which designated "looping" to allow a GIF89A gif animation to return to the first frame when the last frame is displayed, providing continuous animation. The extension consists of the text "NETSCAPE2.0", probably named after the version of Netscape's browser which first implemented this extension. All animated GIFs you encounter on the web which loop forever contain this extension.

Comment

Thanks for the info. So my guess seems to be right. I've got other animated gifs with looping, not especially made for the net, which haven't this string in the header.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Not to be rude

but I think you are mistaken. GIF89A means it was created in July, 1989. It's not some oddball format, unless there is some other problem with the file.

I seem to have found another problem. While looking om wikipedia, I tested some of the GIFs on the page. It seems the third image down, 200px-BananaShoeShine.gif shows up as ALL yellow, while the full size picture works fine, and it's just tinged yellow, not all yellow.

yellow small pic

large pic

Looks fine in firefox. BTW, Virtualdub is a video encoder and capturing program.

*edit*
                It seems netscape isn't always at the beginning. It's on Rotating_earth_(small).gif and the two banana shine GIFS, in the yellow one and the normal looking one.
                Last edited by mikesum32; 09.07.2007, 06:49 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Sorry, but GIF89A has nothing to do with a date. It's a standard GIF format. Before that it was GIF87.

And with "this string in the header" I meant 'Netscape2'
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I meant the 87 and 89 part are the year, which is true. "Netscape2.0" is in other files on wikipedia and other places, and it's part of the standard, so it's not something unusual.

I don't want to argue about who's right and who's wrong. I just want to know if these problems be fixed.

Comment

Quite rightly so. But these aspects in the header could play a role.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

This one still isn't fixed.

Comment

Hi,

ok, i am going to forward this iussue to Irfan; the Project Tools won´t shown this bug as solved ( I changed that today)

steve

Comment

Working...
                          X