Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGM graphic

Hi
    I have loaded a CGM graphic into IrfanView but nothing appears. I know the graphic is OK because I can see it in VizEx.
    I tried searching for CGM in the forum but it will not search for words with less than 4 letters.
    All help much appreciated.
    Regards

Hi,

welcome here

Could you provide us an example picture (in the cgm format), please ? Just upload it ...

steve

Comment

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the quick reply, here is the graphic.
      Regards
      Alun
      Attached Files

Comment

Confirmed. IV can open this file, but there's nothing to see, because the size of the bitmap is shown as 1x600.
        PSP refused this file, because of a wrong CGM format.
        Are you able to export the file with this VizEx into a different format ?
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

VizEx is a free viewer - there is a $-ware program at the same site that would do the real stuff.

I've seen that version problem in other technical drawing formats
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The info of the relevant plugin, CADImage.dll, states that this CGM format is a shareware, third party plugin of IV.
            So little one can do, I guess.

Maybe it should be better for the development of IV, to skip some formats on the huge list of all kinds of rare formats,
            which are quite insecure in functioning correctly, due to lack of recent developments of the plugin.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I opened your file in CorelDraw 9. It shows some time scale in ms and a color gradient. But since some fonts were missing the image looked completely off with text under the graph gridlines. There was also a rectangle many times larger than the graph, so a plain raster program would not have enough memory to display all the picture including the empty rectangle.

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of the replies, so it is a probelm with the graphic then.
                Regards
                Alun

Comment

I endorse the reply of Sam. It would be a good thing to reduce all that many graphical formats to a few workable ones. Now these days CGM is a rare file, but not so long ago it was used by Microsoft. I opened alungwyther's file in Micrografx Windows Draw. Apart from the font used on the vertical text 'Time (ms)' it looked nice and it was editable. I had to enlarge it though, because the source from your zip was only 1 cm on my screen.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sjef; 09.07.2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

It would be a good thing to reduce all that many graphical formats to a few workable ones.
                    I think IV should not attempt to read these exotic vector formats at least until standard WMF and SVG are properly supported. At the moment zooming in WMF is not possible and the others require a paid Russian plugin. IV will never be able to write vector data, so you still need other software to recover information from CGM, etc.

Read support for old and rare raster files is a good thing. IrfanView is well suited for that.

Comment

Addendum: VizEx will save in a couple of other formats. I saved the sample file as PNG and opened it in IV. However, VizEx puts a loud red brand on the image that could obscure important details. Oy. Handy to have anyway.
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

So a missing font and : vectors. Well, vectors means layers, and IV is not able to handle layers, and imo doesn't have to.
                        As j7n said, IV works with raster files, that's it. So, for using vectors or layers, I switch to painter app.
                        Of course it would be nice for me if a PSP format would be shown correctly, but it's beyond the duties of IV, so fine by me.

2 Sjef
                        I said 'skip' rare, insecure formats, but maybe it would be better to re-organize the content of the 4 plugin categories.
                        So e.g. insecure, old, or half-commercial plugins in the Format section should be moved to the Misc section.
                        But this is getting off-topic.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

To Sam:
                          When I wrote about reducing all that many grapical formats, I didn't aim in particular at IrfanView, the intension was more in general. Like the Open Document Format (ODF). For instance, Adobe is trying to join all the different camera RAW formats into one 'Digital NeGative' (DNG). Of course Irfan has enclosed this important issue already in version 3.97.
                          Last edited by Sjef; 10.07.2007, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Yep. That's the problem with big companies. They force to use their socalled 'standard' format, while a year later they switch to another one, because it suits them better.
                            Maybe it's time for a poll here : Anyone uses the Canon CRW plugin ?
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

A software program must still support the old format to be able to convert it, be it Canon -> DNG, or CGM -> CDR conversion.

Edit: The problem is that you can't be sure you took everything your old format had to offer. This very example showed that CorelDraw 9 wasn't able to decode this CGM as accurate as your Micrografx program. So you better not trash the source.
                              Last edited by j7n; 11.07.2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X