Project IrfanView!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project IrfanView!

Can you explain how an issue gets created for a bug report or feature request in Project IrfanView? I understand that moderators seem to only have control over this, but when a thread is confirmed and/or moved to the Bug Reports forum, why doesn't it make it to the Project IrfanView as an issue? Similarly, if moderators like feature requests, why are some not listed there either?

Can you shed some light on what is necessary to make it into the project and are all the threads in the regular forums ever looked at by Irfan?

I have to admit that this situation still is quite fuzzy to me, as it is to you.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It depends on whether a moderator thinks it is worth adding.

In the relatively short time that this forum has been running (six months or so), we have had very little feedback from Irfan regarding items in the Project list, so the incentive is not high for adding more Feature Requests. Some bugs/requests were fixed/implemented in 4.20, many others were not.

As you can see, the Feature Request forum is full of threads. If everyone could start a thread in the Project List it would soon be a mess, and of little use to Irfan to evaluate feedback.

There is no mechanism in place to decide what is, or what is not worth adding to the Project List. Any moderator is free to add any item that seems to have some merit/popularity. The thread star rating mechanism would be some guide to moderators, but currently the thread starter can vote, and is often the only one who does, so a five star rating is meaningless.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It depends on whether a moderator thinks it is worth adding.

In the relatively short time that this forum has been running (I joined in the early days on 16.05.2007), we have had very little feedback from Irfan regarding items in the Project list, so the incentive is not high for adding more Feature Requests. Some bugs/requests were fixed/implemented in 4.20, many others were not.

As you can see, the Feature Request forum is full of threads. If everyone could start a thread in the Project List it would soon be a mess, and of little use to Irfan to evaluate feedback.

There is no mechanism in place to decide what is, or what is not worth adding to the Project List. Any moderator is free to add any item that seems to have some merit/popularity. The thread star rating mechanism would be some guide to moderators, but currently the thread starter can vote, and is often the only one who does, so a five star rating is meaningless.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
          I have to admit that this situation still is quite fuzzy to me, as it is to you.
          Huh? Aren't you a moderator?
          Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          ...we have had very little feedback from Irfan regarding items in the Project list, so the incentive is not high for adding more Feature Requests. Some bugs/requests were fixed/implemented in 4.20, many others were not.
          Obviously the forum is useful, but is it, in a way, a waste of time? Is there a better way to get some results from Irfan? Who's idea was it to create the forum, if Irfan doesn't really want to be active in it?
          If everyone could start a thread in the Project List it would soon be a mess, and of little use to Irfan to evaluate feedback.
          ... a five star rating is meaningless.
          Very true. What should users do to see that bug fixes and features get approved, even ones that have been passed over already? Thanks for the insight on the process, Bhikkhu.

Comment

The forum is very useful in getting already implemented functions to work properly, or finding new uses for the most versatile graphics viewer. But it's indeed pretty pointless to argue about new features with the moderators. A waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
              Obviously the forum is useful, but is it, in a way, a waste of time? Is there a better way to get some results from Irfan? Who's idea was it to create the forum, if Irfan doesn't really want to be active in it?
              You have to understand that Irfan is a single developer, and there are millions who use his program. I suspect that he knows something about this forum as the link to it is on his website. At least three plugin developers post here regularly to my knowledge, and they have given some great feedback to users.
              What should users do to see that bug fixes and features get approved, even ones that have been passed over already?
              There is not a lot that an individual can do to promote their favourite issues apart from presenting a clear and cogent argument. If enough users report the same problem, or want the same feature, then it might get more attention. Bumping old threads is not likely to win any support unless there is something worth adding. You could try sending Irfan some €£$.

Bugs need to have a clear recipe. If others can confirm them they're more likely to get fixed. They need to be significant and affect a lot of users to deserve special attention.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                The forum is very useful in getting already implemented functions to work properly, or finding new uses for the most versatile graphics viewer. But it's indeed pretty pointless to argue about new features with the moderators. A waste of time.
                I agree completely.

Comment

There is not a lot that an individual can do to promote their favourite issues apart from presenting a clear and cogent argument. If enough users report the same problem, or want the same feature, then it might get more attention.
                  That's sensible. But, if I find someone has already posted a bug or feature, I don't post it again. Do I need to, just so it gets noticed for its popularity? I figured if it was suggested, it was known about, and would be considered by Irfan. Not true?

Bumping old threads is not likely to win any support unless there is something worth adding. You could try sending Irfan some €£$.
                  I don't bump to get noticed. That is just how the forum is constructed. If I post something, someone is going to get bumped. I would hope that other readers wouldn't ignore posts that are bumped. I do though post again, if there is no response. E-mail?

Bugs need to have a clear recipe. If others can confirm them they're more likely to get fixed. They need to be significant and affect a lot of users to deserve special attention.
                  How clear must you be? If a bug is far reaching, do I need to specify all the formats it affects? At this point in IrfanView's development, how many bugs affect a lot of users anymore (other than the zoom bug)? Certainly by version 4.2 the core must be sound by now? If millions are using IV, even small bugs must affect a lot of people.
                  Last edited by Skippybox; 24.11.2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I haven't got time for this. Any further discussion seems pointless to me.

Send Irfan some money. Maybe that will get his attention.

Comment

Send Irfan some money. Maybe that will get his attention.
                      Now that's the best idea I've heard all day!

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                        How clear must you be? If a bug is far reaching, do I need to specify all the formats it affects? At this point in IrfanView's development, how many bugs affect a lot of users anymore (other than the zoom bug)? Certainly by version 4.2 the core must be sound by now? If millions are using IV, even small bugs must affect a lot of people.
                        New bugs come in with new technology. The Dual core Thumbnail crash problem was such a case http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=825
                        A number of us who suffered from it kept the issue alive for a long time and it was fixed (for me anyway) in v4.20. Impossible to say whether it was because of this forum or not unless Irfan tells us but I certainly do not regret the effort, although those that it did not affect must have got heartily sick of hearing about it.
                        There are still some problems too when using IrfanView with Vista. Another cause worth fighting for IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X