Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested option to remove formats from save-as drop-down

Shame on me, but this is not a very large feature

I don't know if this is a problem for people with good eyesight, but it is sometimes difficult for me to find the extension that I want quickly. Picking PNG out from the six Ps is the worst. I do not use many of the supported save formats - I doubt that anyone needs all of the options very often. It would be nice to have some way to add/remove them, like the "load custom extensions" option. A shorter list would save time and preserve patience
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

I agree. This would be a useful improvement, even more so with the file open dialogue, which has far more formats to choose from.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think the formats of not installed plugins should not appear. But in the Open dialog you don't have to use the dropdown list at all. Just type in a wildcard such as *.png or *.jp* and press Enter.

Comment

I think the formats of not installed plugins should not appear
        You got a point there.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Open is not a problem, unless one wants to filter a directory full of different formats. It's just saving that becomes tedious. If one could simply type in the extension, like in the GIMP's save dialog, it would be easier sometimes.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

You can just tab to the "Save as type" field, and type in the first letter of the extension. The cursor will then jump back to the File Name field for you to type the name. The trouble is, to get to PNG you have to repeat this about five times:

Tab • P • PCX
            Tab • P • PBM
            Tab • P • PDF
            Tab • P • PGM
            Tab • P • PNG
            Tab • P • PPM
            Tab • P • PCX

I would only ever use PCX or PNG, so it would be nice if I could remove the others by editing an INI file, or a dialogue box option as one can for browsing file types.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.07.2007, 07:49 AM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
              Open is not a problem, unless one wants to filter a directory full of different formats.
              That is something I have to do quite often.

My website assets are all in one folder. It includes GIF JPG and PNG images.
              However, it is not as difficult to filter as with file save because the cursor stays in the files of type field

Tab • G, G to filter only GIF files
              Tab • J, J to filter only JPG files
              Tab • P, P, P, P to filter only PNG files

Still, it would be nice to be able to filter out the formats that I never use.

Comment

(OT Strange, in BP's post it says "You can just t.ab to the.." and if pasted in an ascii file it shows "You can just ?ab to the..")
                it would be nice to be able to filter out the formats that I never use.
                I second that, but the question is how ?
                I think coupling this to the formats which aren't enabled to associate with IV, is a bit 'too quick around the corner'.
                Never using the format yourself is one thing, but being able to read/write the format is another thing.
                So it should be available in some way. This asks for some kind of 'custom' setting I suppose.
                In the first place, as the origin, this has to do with the contents of the 4 zipped plugin categories, I think.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                  (OT Strange, in BP's post it says "You can just t.ab to the.." and if pasted in an ascii file it shows "You can just ?ab to the..")
                  I use Control + t to type Pāli t dot below, that is why the t. comes out as ? when you copy and paste "ṭab." I also have a Pāli Windows keyboard, which will type ṭ if I type . followed by t.
                  I think coupling this to the formats which aren't enabled to associate with IV, is a bit 'too quick around the corner'.
                  I don't think anyone has suggested that.

What would make perfect sense is to couple it with the "Load custom file types" option on the Extensions Tab of the Properties dialogue. If a user only wants to view certain formats while browsing directories, it stands to reason that they also wish to load and save only those formats. Since the option can easily be turned off if one occasionally does need to save in another format, and since other formats can be loaded with the default *.* I don't see any big problem with that, especially as other formats could be loaded from Windows Explorer if they are associated with IV, or by Drag and Drop if they are not associated.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.07.2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                    I think the formats of not installed plugins should not appear.
                    It's not like that here with me. I get save error if I try to save with a plugin which is not installed. Is there some option to turn this on/off or something?

Comment

What I was trying to say is I wish the formats of not installed plugins would not appear. Some writer is gonna criticise my poor English.

Comment

Working...
                      X