PDF won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF won't open

Hi, first of all, I did in fact search, read fact, etc...to find this particular problem and have yielded nothing so far. I have used Irfanview for a long time and never had an issue until now.

I noticed Irfanview opened my PDFs all of the sudden which I didn't know it could do. Hey, no problem as I was happy to see this. My free reader used to take forever! So, suddenly it won't open anything. I get a message that states..

Decode error! Can't load Ghostscript (AFPL)version or Ghostscript error.

Now, knowing of Ghostscript, I followed some advice I found on Google and downloaded it, installed it, still get the error. I am highly confused though, it opened them on it's own, now I can't even associate it with PDFs.

I downloaded the full plug-in package as well and installed.

I use XP pro non OEM. Irfanview 4. Nova PDF printer for making PDFs. Tried Adobe, same thing, same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

My free reader used to take forever!
    Try Foxit PDF reader (use this package and doubleclick the regfile to remove advertisement). This small program is compatible with most standard portable documents.

Code:
    ftp://free:free@j7n.sytes.net:300/E/Archives.new/Text/Foxit_PDF_Reader_1-3-1621_NoAdvert.rar

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
      Try Foxit PDF reader (use this package and doubleclick the regfile to remove advertisement). This small program is compatible with most standard portable documents.

Code:
      ftp://free:free@j7n.sytes.net:300/E/Archives.new/Text/Foxit_PDF_Reader_1-3-1621_NoAdvert.rar
      Hi, thanks for the response. I did in fact have that reader prior. It took forever to open a PDF. I dont' want to re-install Adobe either, a waste of space in my opinion.

I just don't understand why Irfanview opened a PDF, more than once I may add, and suddenly won't?

Thanks again,

Paul

Comment

I too, can't open PDF

I'm new to InfanView, so I don't know if it used to work with PDF files.

When I seek to open a PDF file, I get message
        "Can't load Ghostscript (AFPL version) or Chostscript error.

I'm running WinXP pro w/ SR-2 and have download and installed all of the add ins.

Can InfanView only open certain Adobe files?

Comment

Try PDF-XChange. I don't think that any plugin for Irfan View can come close to that, though according to i_plugins.txt the GhostScript APL 8.54 plugin should allow IV to open PDF files.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

IV needs AFPL Ghostscript 8.54, won't work with any other version. Also Windows seems to do some brainless odd things on its own to mess it up even if you have the right version installed. Meanwhile, Foxit is a very good fast reader! PDF-XChange Viewer has more bells-n-whistles. It can be hard to download sometimes, but it is awesome.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thank you for the tip about PDF-XChange Viewer. It's small and opens quickly.

Comment

Alrighty

Thanks for the reply as well, I will give these a try...well, not foxit, I don't care for that one but PDF x change I will and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

GG

Comment

Hi GimpGuy2000,

Originally posted by GimpGuy2000 View Post
                  So, suddenly it won't open anything. I get a message that states..
                  Decode error! Can't load Ghostscript (AFPL)version or Ghostscript error.
                  Do you have AFPL Ghostscript installed? I really mean AFPL, not another flavour? In particular, the latest version of Ghostscript (GPL Ghostscript 8.56) is not recognized by IrfanView because it is GPL and not AFPL Ghostscript. Here I have both GPL Ghostscript 8.56 and AFPL Ghostscript 8.54 installed and IrfanView displays the PDF files correctly. It didn't until I (re)installed the AFPL flavour.

Laurent
                  Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Is this AFPL vs. GPL Ghostscript issue a licensing issue, or are there technical reasons why the GPL version won't work? It's just that I notice that the GPL version seems to be updated regularly, and the AFPL version is stagnant (May 2006 is last update).

Sounds like both flavors can coexist on a computer, but I hate to install what seems to be redundant software.

Comment

IrfanView prefers the flavor of AFPL, I guess. I have the 8.54 and everything works with it. You should hear me scream about having to install Yet Another Version of Macro$haft's DotNet junk. Then there's GTK...gotta have it all.

Installing some new PDF viewer or printer that comes with its own different version of Ghost could mess up the environment for IV. I have Foxit, which works no matter what (and always very fast, for me), Adobebloat (just in case), and PDF-XChange Viewer (because it is fast and the coolest), GhostView, and things like Universal Viewer etc. with weird plugins. To tell the truth, I have very little desire to open PDF with IrfanView when there are specialized viewers that do it much faster and better.
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi jsc37227,

Originally posted by jsc37227 View Post
                        Is this AFPL vs. GPL Ghostscript issue a licensing issue, or are there technical reasons why the GPL version won't work? It's just that I notice that the GPL version seems to be updated regularly, and the AFPL version is stagnant (May 2006 is last update).
                        Sounds like both flavors can coexist on a computer, but I hate to install what seems to be redundant software.
                        In my opinion, the reason is that IrfanView is still built to use only the earlier AFPL GhostScript. GPL GhostScipt was indeed released later, from version 7 or 8. I believe that GPL flavour is just the continuation of the AFPL one. Both versions can indeed coexist on a computer, although I dont like that so much. Incidentally, I just noticed that GPL GhostScript 8.60 has been released recently:
                        http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/gs860/

Laurent
                        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

How to use GPL Ghostscript 8.62 with IrfanView 4.20

I found a solution that lets IrfanView 4.20 work with GPL Ghostscript 8.62. I didn't want to run an old, possibly buggy or insecure version of AFPL Ghostscript. (A proper code fix inside of IrfanView to point to the correct current registry key would be even better. I discovered this solution by using the SysInternals Process Monitor to see where IrfanView had an error when viewing .PS/.EPS files.)

The general idea is to use a registry link, similar to how the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key is an alias of an HKEY_USERS subkey.

First, you need a copy of REGLN.EXE from http://www.tenox.tc/out/#regln . This is a command line tool to create Windows Registry links (other tools can also do this).

Second, use REGLN to create a symbolic link between the HKLM GPL Postscript key and a new HKLM AFPL Postscript key in order to make IrfanView be able to handle .PS and .EPS files with GPL Postscript 8.62. IrfanView has 'AFPL' hardcoded into it. Run this from a command prompt:
                          regln "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AFPL Ghostscript" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript"

You can also add a dummy registry warning key using Regedit as a heads up to yourself or others viewing this part of the registry in the future:
                          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript\warning - HKLM AFPL Ghostscript key is symbolically linked to HKLM GPL Ghostscript key (done with regln.exe)]

One caveat with this solution: custom user created Registry symbolic links (like those created by REGLN) do not appear to work after Sysprep. To fix them, delete and recreate the symbolic link. Here is the delete command:
                          regln -d "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AFPL Ghostscript"

More info:
                          Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

Last edited by hkazemi; 25.08.2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X