Canon RAW/CR2 not saving EXIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon RAW/CR2 not saving EXIF

I love IrfanView, and have used version 4.1 to do jpg2jpg editing for a while. When saving edited pic's, I have stored EXIF in the new files - no problem!

Now, I have a new camera: Canon EOS 400D :-) And I have started using the RAW format *.CR2 files with all plugins and DLL's installed to the very best of abilities and instructions. But, IrfanView does not save the EXIF info. when I edit either single images or batch conversion, even though "Keep orig. EXIF data" is checked at save.

EXIF is there on the *.CR2 original, so why does it not copy to the *.JPG???

Is there a setting I am missing, or is EXIF simply not supported for this operation?

Please help, I want to use IrfanView for this!
    /Leenhart

Hello Leenhart,

this is a known problem, also EXIF informations are lost if you save a picture in an other file format like TIFF.

You find a lot of entries in this forum about this...

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
      this is a known problem, also EXIF informations are lost if you save a picture in an other file format like TIFF.
      Indeed, this has been a problem for some time now, especially when you have hundreds of pictures to batch convert.

Luckily, a utility called ExifToolGUI has an awesome function "Restore JPG metadata" which you can use to copy the original EXIF data to the converted JPGs (assuming you converted to JPG, of course). It will make backups of the pictures before writing the metadata, and it can process whole folders of pictures.
      Last edited by Sailor_Sakura; 04.09.2008, 08:39 AM. Reason: Clarified the work process of the additional tool a bit

Comment

Thank you Sailor_Sakura for mentioning the ExifToolGUI, I'll have a look at it.

I am however still quite puzzled, that with all the complex capabilities of IrfanView, the "simple" copy of information from one format to the next is not available. The answer is surely that what I beleive to be "simple" is not at all so :-)

At the moment I will stick to Canon's "Digital Photo Pro." for Raw2Jpg conversions - I really do not want to loose the EXIF!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X