Fit images to window buggy in dual monitor setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fit images to window buggy in dual monitor setup

Fit images to window option when turned on will always make Irfanview load the a new photo on the main monitor (monitor 1). It will never remember to its last window position.

Irfanview 4.20, Windows XP SP3.

I do not get this using Vista. I set the option to Fit Image to Window and dragged the window to Monitor 2 (which I have to the right of monitor 1). I can then move through all the images in the folder using the arrow keys or space bar and the window stays right there on Monitor 2. No problem. Are you doing anything different?

Comment

Not that I know of except I'm using XP SP3 and you're using Vista. Actually my main monitor is my laptop LCD so it defaults to monitor 1, whether I like it or not. My second monitor is to the left of my laptop monitor and IrfanView just won't stay on monitor 2 when switching photos. It'll just jump back to a set place on monitor 1.

Comment

Originally posted by User61 View Post
        My second monitor is to the left of my laptop monitor
        That is the problem! It has come up before. As I recall IrfanView can not save negative values for the window position, so it only works if monitor 1 is at the top/left of the display layout.

Comment

o.O Is there anyway IrfanView can overcome this "feature"?

Comment

Well according to cwb3106 in this thread http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=2558 you can open a window on a left hand monitor using a command line

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a whirl later. This is only a temporary hack though if it works. I'm wondering if there's going to be any official word on the status of this issue and whether it will be fixed in newer versions.

Still a great program though =)

Comment

I have to go back on something I said earlier. I have just tried the set up with monitor 2 on the left and it worked fine. It is some time since I last tried it (probably with an earlier version of IV) but now I find that, having dragged the main window to the 2nd monitor and closed the program, IrfanView does save it correctly in the INI file (with a negative value of x) and the window remains on monitor 2 when the program is next opened.
                User61, are you saying that sometimes it does work and sometimes not? If so and you could identify exactly what you do to cause the error, I will try to reproduce it.

Comment

Something obvious I should have asked you to check right at the beginning. In the "Window Options" in Options >Properties >Misc2 have you checked that "Remember the last window size/position" is ticked?

Comment

Yup it is. HOWEVER, I unchecked the option for "Center window when loading new images" And it now works fine! No more jumping to my main monitor on the right! =) I guess this is a genuine bug and not a feature after all =P. The place where it jumps to on the main monitor isn't even the center of any window!

More info: My second monitor is a 20" LCD (1600x1200) and my main monitor is my laptop LCD (1280x800). Perhaps the different resolution has something to do with it.
                    Last edited by User61; 05.09.2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Well I am pleased that you have found the cause. I have never tried checking that "Center window when loading new images" option. I assume it is intended to be used with "Fit only big images to Desktop" view but, as you say, it is a bug if it upsets other modes.

Comment

Interesting. The combination of options really affects centering behavior.

On my system (Windows XP SP3, IrfanView 4.20, secondary monitor to the left/negative X), using "Fit images to window" and stepping through images causes the window to jump twice. If image1 is on the left monitor, image2 will be displayed on the left side of the right monitor and image3 in the center of the right monitor. Same behavior with "fit only big images to window".

Also, if I resize a window while in "Fit images to window" mode, a second window flickers on and off. The flickering happens regardless of where the window is located.

With multiple monitors, "center window" is ambiguous. Should the window be centered on the desktop (all monitors) or just one monitor. If the former, what if the desktop is not rectangular (monitors of different resolution or three monitors arranged in an "L")? If the latter, what if the window spans monitors?

My preference (and I suspect, the OP's), is to center on which ever monitor "contains" the window. When the window initially spans monitors, the "containing" window is the one displaying the center of the window (or image if that's easier).

I noticed that the "Fit images to desktop" mode (almost) follow this "center window on containing monitor" behavior. If image1 is on the left monitor, image2 (and image3...) will be centered in the left monitor. When the window initially spans monitors, the location of the upper left corner of the window seems to determine the monitor used for the second image. I think window center is more intuitive, but I wouldn't complain if "upper left corner" logic was used.

FWIW, "Fit window to image" also has an ambiguity with multiple monitors. On a single monitor, the window is limited to the size of the monitor -- which is nice. With multiple monitors, the window size is limited to the size of the containing monitor. An argument could be made that the window should grow to the size of the desktop, but I like the current behavior.

Comment

Working...
                        X