[Save as] in IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested [Save as] in IrfanView

I highly appreciate IrfanView's option 'Ctrl+S' (Save as) wherein IV directly points to the source file folder, while 'S' (Save) 'remembers' the folder that was last used as targetfolder.

Would it be possible to apply an IV configuration-option where one can choose for the standard Windows dialog? Than I should be able to 'point-'n-shoot' to a favorite map (aside the fact that I use PlacesBar Tweaker to edit that dialog-box).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sjef; 11.07.2007, 03:00 PM.

The odd thing I find about the difference between the 'Save as' and 'Save' dialog is the fact, that in both options you still can choose the output format for the file. While in most apps 'save' will mean a direct save, or maybe a renaming dialog.
    'Save as' suggests the possibility to choose another name, format and another location.

As a variation for your request, as a fellow TC user, I would suggest that IV picks up the actual directory of TC, to use for 'Save as', as some apps are capable of.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

As a Total Commander user I give an Enter on a file which is associated to IrfanView (say in folder X). When I press Ctrl+S, IrfanView saves to the same Total Commander folder (X) and in the same format. But when pressing S, IrfanView saves to the format and folder I earlier had converted to (say jpg into gif). After that, IrfanView appears to remember folder X as well. That's one of the many things I like about IV.

Comment

Of course there's the checkbox Properties/Options "Display 'Save'dialog for 'File->Save'" too.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Back to the original question - the dialog is hard-coded into the program, its source can't be made optional. The reason IV has its own open/save dialog is so that the preview feature and its useful image information can be made available. The Windows Common Controls don't have a lot of features. MS Office uses its own dialog too, but it has that stupid (in my opinion - LOL - I hate it) Places Bar plus a lot of Microsnot attitude.

For my own convenience in getting around, I use a little tool called "Quick Folders" that adds an extra icon to the row next to the places dropdown. It stores up to 30 recently opened folders. There are some other things like this available. I'm used to QF, so as long as it works I won't change. It has a slight buglet with the IV dialog - sometimes its little lightning button turns up invisible in the wrong place, but hovering the cursor over it makes it show. Other than that, no problems.

Quick Folders screenshot by IrfanView - open dialog by way of an AutoIt script, hence the silly titlebar
          Last edited by matera; 25.10.2008, 03:30 AM.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
            MS Office uses its own dialog too, but it has that stupid (in my opinion - LOL - I hate it) Places Bar plus a lot of Microsnot attitude.
            Working in a MS interface force me to make use of the Places Bar. I use Place Bar Tweaker to edit that bar so the end justifies the mean. You 'like' that Places Bar as I do, but can you switch it off then?

Comment

To Sam: Yes, and in my IV it's checked of course, so I get hold of the survey.
              Last edited by Sjef; 01.10.2007, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X