MP3 Playlist not fully supported in V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3 Playlist not fully supported in V4

MP3 playlist with comment lines is not supported. Following is an example of a playlist with comment lines:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:344,Celine Dion - The Power Of Love
    Celine Dion - The Colour Of My Love - 01 - The Power Of Love.mp3
    #EXTINF:211,Celine Dion - Misled
    Celine Dion - The Colour Of My Love - 02 - Misled.mp3
    #EXTINF:288,Celine Dion - Think Twice
    Celine Dion - The Colour Of My Love - 03 - Think Twice.mp3

The lines with a # as the first character should be ignored.

Sorry, but I can't find any indication that IV can handle the .M3U format.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

If I remove the comment lines IV will play all of the files in the playlist. Perhaps it was not the intent to support playlist but it does. Extra unknown feature, huh?

Comment

No, because after removing the comment lines, all that's left is a list of Mp3 filenames in ascii, and IV can read that.
        The only unknown feature is, that you haven't told what extension your slideshow file has.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I'm confused by your statement "The only unknown feature is, that you haven't told what extension your slideshow file has". I raised a question about a playlist and gave a sample of the playlist that included audio (MP3) files. To my knowledge a audio playlist has an extension of m3u and the format of the m3u does support comment lines. Possibly one of us is confused with respect to the slideshow.

Comment

It's not a matter of confusion, but of inclusion.
            Playlist files, audio or otherwise, can have different formats/extensions. Each with their own properties and options.
            In the case of a slideshow, audio or graphic, IV can read the .LST and the .TXT format.
            For audio playlists .M3U is used, but another common format is .PLS
            Both with their own specific data.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I infer from your reply that IrfanView will not support the official M3U format.

The actual format of an M3U playlist is:

#EXTM3U
              #EXTINF:111,3rd Bass - Al z A-B-Cee z
              mp3/3rd Bass/3rd bass - Al z A-B-Cee z.mp3
              #EXTINF:462,Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy�s song (VNV Nation rmx)
              mp3/Apoptygma Berzerk/Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy's Song (Victoria Mix by VNV Nation).mp3
              #EXTINF:394,Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy's Song
              mp3/Apoptygma Berzerk/Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy's Song.mp3
              #EXTINF:307,Apoptygma Bezerk - Starsign
              mp3/Apoptygma Berzerk/Apoptygma Berzerk - Starsign.mp3
              #EXTINF:282,Various_Artists - Butthole Surfers: They Came In
              mp3/Butthole_Surfers-They_Came_In.mp3

The First line, "#EXTM3U" is the format descriptor, in this case M3U (or Extended M3U as it can be called). It does not change, it's always this.

The second and third operate in a pair. The second begins "#EXTINF:" which serves as the record marker. The "#EXTINF" is unchanging. After the colon is a number: this number is the length of the track in whole seconds (not minutes:seconds or anything else. Then comes a comma and the name of the tune (not the FILE NAME). A good list generator will suck this data from the ID3 tag if there is one, and if not it will take the file name with the extension chopped off.

The second line of this pair (the third line) is the actual file name of the media in question. In my example they aren't fully qualified because I run this list by typing "noatun foo.m3u" in my home directory and my music is in ~/mp3, so it just follows the paths as relative from the path of invocation.

Comment

Working...
              X