v4.20 "Fit to window" doesn't fit to maximized window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v4.20 "Fit to window" doesn't fit to maximized window

"Fit image to window" with a wide enough window fits the image to the window height... except when the window is maximized. When the window is maximized, a thick black border appears above and below the image. This also happens in "Fit image to desktop" mode (with a maximized window, not in fullscreen). It doesn't happen in "Fit image to window height" mode.
    Last edited by bubu; 05.09.2008, 05:38 PM.

Try starting with the view options whom are being recommended by the program. So check in Properties»Settings»Full screen the option ‘Fit to screen: large images only (recommended)’ and from the View»Display options menu ‘Fit window to image (1:1, recommended)’.

In Window mode you can change the view mode with the F-key on your keyboard. The Enter-key is the standard switch between Full screen and Window mode. On the long run this is the best way (in my opinion) to use IrfanView. Try it, get used to it and you'll never use different options.

The way IrfanView can fill up your screen or its own window depends of the measures of the file. A photo measuring 1280x500 never will full up a screen with 1280x1024 pixels. You could change the black borders with another color but I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Odd Behavior

Some of these modes do work funny.

I haven't had any trouble with Fit to window, but Fit to desktop does work differently. It seems that in Fit to window mode, the image will resize itself up when maximized. However, in Fit to desktop mode, the image does not resize up when maximized. In fact, if the image is already maximized, the image will not fill up the space horizontally or vertically (depending on orientation), but use the zoom of the non-maximized window.

Fit to desktop height is even stranger. It behaves like Fit to desktop, but if you load an image when maximized, it will go into a non-maximized window, but think it is in a maximized state. So, to maximize it, you have to restore down, then maximize it!

Comment

I keep saying: in general Shift»W is a fine shortcut for Window viewers. When you resize the window and hit Shift»W the picture will be adjusted to the window. When Misc2»Remember the last window size/postion is on, all browsed images (Arrow-keys) will keep the relative size of the window. Also usable when viewing from the Thumbnail Browser. Another way here is to use Alt»Tab to switch between Thumbnails and Viewer.

Fit to Desktop (Shift»F is on) is aimed to view in a not maximized window. In this mode -using the F key- you can switch between (resampled) Fitted to window and 1:1 ratio. ‘Fitted’ (in a maximized window) depends on the X-Y size of the picture in relation of the X-Y pixel size of your monitor of course.

The reason I use IrfanView is that this viewer is the quickest program to view an associated image -from a filemanager- Full screen (Fitted to desktop). The Enter key is enough to view in 1:1 ratio (windowed). Eventual I than can drag through the image with the rightmousebutton (quick) or the arrow keys (slow). In Full screen browsing can be done with the Arrow keys. The Esc-key is enough to quit. Nice and easy!

Comment

Working...
        X