Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflict Between RIOT and Unicode Plugins

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
    I have noted the incompatibility between Unicode plugin and open/save dialogs from RIOT. In my oppinion the problem is the unicode plugin.
    Hi, thanks for the feedback,
    I have read the information on your website beforehand and nice job.

So this case is not close:

I did not re-install yet as sugested by another member on this thread. However, I cannot SAVE & OPEN as long as I select the UNICODE Plungin at start-up. I remove either the plugin or un-select it in the properties window "Unicode plugin at start-up", then I can SAVE & OPEN.

I have attempted to:
    Past another UNICODE plugnin from the zip plugin folder, over the installed plugin.
    Try with both .dll from your website "lite & full" doing a proper installation ;-) No difference.

I don't think a re-install would help. What's the next step? A new thread UNICODE Plugin/RIOT BUG, contact the developper about the issue? Can someone help with an advice. I am new here.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by admsupport; 10.09.2008, 01:08 AM.

I moved your post to the Bug Reports forum. You're right that reinstalling won't help. Disable the Unicode plugin if you want to use RIOT.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I will follow up the post in the bug thread. Thanks for the information.

Newbie question: It is the proper usage to thank someone on a forum for his/her answer, or is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by admsupport View Post
        Newbie question: It is the proper usage to thank someone on a forum for his/her answer, or is it not?
        It is nice to know if a solution worked or not, and useful for others reading the thread. If several solutions have been offered, say which one worked for you.

If a post has had no replies after several days, it may be because the question wasn't clear enough. Without doubt, other users will have noticed it. Try to provide more information rather than just bumping the thread or complaining that it has not been answered yet.

Bug reports may not get any feedback for months/years. That is not something we can do much about. The best that we can do is confirm the bug and report it. If lots of users find that a bug is causing them problems, it is more likely to get attention than if it seems like a big problem for just one or two users.

IrfanView develops slowly. Expect a new release only twice a year at the most. Don't expect a bug-fix release for something minor like this.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Confirmed and classified as "very annoying" .
          IrfanPaint developer
          The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
          IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by admsupport View Post
            It is the proper usage to thank someone on a forum for his/her answer, or is it not?
            I never met a person who didn't enjoy a thank-you. People like appreciation for their efforts. So, if you like an answer, feel free to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              It is nice to know if a solution worked or not, and useful for others reading the thread. If several solutions have been offered, say which one worked for you.

If a post has had no replies after several days, it may be because the question wasn't clear enough. Without doubt, other users will have noticed it. Try to provide more information rather than just bumping the thread or complaining that it has not been answered yet.

Bug reports may not get any feedback for months/years. That is not something we can do much about. The best that we can do is confirm the bug and report it. If lots of users find that a bug is causing them problems, it is more likely to get attention than if it seems like a big problem for just one or two users.

IrfanView develops slowly. Expect a new release only twice a year at the most. Don't expect a bug-fix release for something minor like this.
              Interesting information, Bhikkhu Pesala.
              We will see if this compatibility issue remains at the next relase

Comment

I think you should ask the developer of the unicode plugin. I don't know what he is doing to interfere with the open/save dialogs. The problem is in the unicode plugin.
                RIOT developer
                visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Agreed. How do we contact him?

Comment

The incompatibility between ansi2unicode and the RIOT plugin will be fixed in RIOT v. 0.2
                    This version will be launched very soon.

RIOT will have native unicode support (handle by himself unicode filenames) and will work good with ansi2unicode enabled for unicode file names.

Thank you for your bug report.
                    RIOT developer

Comment

The incompatibility between ansi2unicode and the RIOT plugin will be fixed in RIOT v. 0.2
                      This version will be launched very soon.
                      BTW, what was the problem? I'd like to know it because it may also affect somehow IrfanPaint.
                      RIOT will have native unicode support (handle by himself unicode filenames) and will work good with ansi2unicode enabled for unicode file names.
                      Won't you lose the compatibility with Windows 9x using Unicode by default?
                      IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Windows 9x is not supported anymore

BTW, what was the problem?
                        I don't know what is doing exactly ansi2unicode. I simply upgraded to a native unicode IDE (C++Builder 2009), then changed all my I/O functions to use unicode instead of ANSI and added some new ones. The unicode filenames are sent by IrfanView in ANSI (char *) I've used a conversion function to translate it to wchar_t.

Won't you lose the compatibility with Windows 9x using Unicode by default
                        You're right. Windows 9x is not supported anymore.
                        Only Windows 2000 and newer can be used (maybe NT ? [not sure]).

The problem is like this:

-unicode is the native charset in modern Windows OS versions and it's unlikely to be changed in the near future.
                        -unicode is an industry de-facto standard and contains all characters in the world in a single charset (for me this is a very good thing)
                        (See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...59(VS.85).aspx)

- windows 98 or earlier MS-DOS based operating systems are already obsolete. They are more than 10 years old !
                        - Microsoft decided to stop supporting Windows 98 more than two years ago. At that time a 2.7% spreading was registered. Why support a program that is not supported anymore by the producer?

Windows 9x user can still use the last version 0.1 of RIOT with ANSI encoding.
                        They are strongly encouraged to upgrade to a newer operating system.
                        RIOT developer

Comment

I'm still running Windows 95 on one of my computers.

Comment

I don't know what is doing exactly ansi2unicode. I simply upgraded to a native unicode IDE (C++Builder 2009), then changed all my I/O functions to use unicode instead of ANSI and added some new ones. The unicode filenames are sent by IrfanView in ANSI (char *) I've used a conversion function to translate it to wchar_t.
                            Ok, so I don't have to worry about anything, since I already use Unicode.
                            [...]
                            At that time a 2.7% spreading was registered. Why support a program that is not supported anymore by the producer?
                            Definitely right; I completely agree with you.

Anyhow I'm still interested about what wizardry is going on under the hood in ansi2unicode.dll; I'll mail the author of the plugin.
                            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Working...
                            X