Technical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical question

How can I select the size of the picture before I resize? What I mean is that I want to be able to take a pic that is 2.3MB (for example) and compress it to 102.4KB (size limit on site I frequent). Currently, I just make several guesses until it is below 102.4KB Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help

Mike

I have observed that different images will reduce differently, depending on their complexity of detail. So a guess is probably about as good as it gets when it comes to on-disk size. Might be a good idea to take notes to help future guesses - I sometimes wish I had, but in the heat of battle...lol
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Is your original an uncompressed format ?
      It seems like you're talking about two different kind of 'sizes'. Is it resizing the actual picture size in pixels or the filesize after a compression while the pic keeps the same dimensions ?

If the latter is the case, then things are quite complicated, because it's very difficult for a program to predict the resulting filesize, when all kinds of compression plus it's settings has influence on that.
      Plus that each picture can be different in the result with the same kind of compression, because of e.g. the number of used colors.

So I'm afraid it will stay a matter of trying out.
      Nothing wrong with that. After a while one will get the feeling of the appropriate area of compression values.
      I just compressed a 2.2 MB BMP (rich-colored) file to a JPG with 50 % compression (IV-setting). It became 64 KB.
      So I went to 75 %. Filesize : 95 KB. 84 % - 119 KB. 76 % - 98 KB.

But apart from compression, if you need a small filesize to publish it on the net, you first have to look for the number of used colors. It's silly to have some menu screenshot in full color, because maybe only 16 colors are used in the picture.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Beware that reduced number of colors and JPEG are not compatible with each other. You will get files bigger and much worse quality.

Comment

Apart from 256 color greyscale, but you're right, I forgot to mention that I switch to the PNG format then.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
          X