Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem viewing PDF in IV 4.2

Hi,

1) Where are the PDF keyboard shortcuts?

After opening a pdf in IV, there is nothing more than 2 blue arrows buttons on the tool bar. I cannot scrool the entire pdf, but only click page after page (very usueful with pdf over 1000 pages.) Any keyboard shortcut I have tried directed me to the following documents, instead of the following page of the current open pdf.

2) the quality of the documents (original setting: 96 x 96 dpi) onscreen is very poor (fonts & illustrations), compared with the output of any other pdf reader. Is it related to IV or gostscript?

Any recommendation/setting/general information about the PDF implementation in IV?

Thanks
    Last edited by admsupport; 12.09.2008, 04:06 AM.

Use a PDF viewer for viewing PDF files. The plugin is not intended to replace a PDF viewer.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Could you be more specific. What is the usage of the PDF plugin & the Gostscript in IV. Is it related to digital images only? if yes, how.

Thanks

Comment

I have no idea why anyone would want to view PDF files in an image viewer. I can view any PDF file in PDF-XChange, add comments, search, zoom, scroll, take screenshots, and do many other useful tasks.

I presume that the plugin developer had a need for viewing PDF files from IrfanView — perhaps to view PDF files containing images. I don't imagine it was ever intended for viewing 1,000 page PDF text documents. I find that it won't even load most PDF files, and I cannot be bothered to look for solutions that I don't need. See this other long thread on the Ghostscript Plugin

The only need I see is to output multi-page TIF files to a PDF file. This is not something I need personally, but obviously useful to some users.

The resolution can be changed from Properties, Plugins, Postscript.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have no idea either.
          IV is a new application for me. I do an all around. I have several questions about the functionnality of the different plugins to ask to users more experienced than I am.
          To output multi-page TIF files to a PDF could effectively be the purpose of this plugin and I couln't get this answer by myself. I have also taken a look at the PDF-XChange' site. What version are you refering to?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by admsupport View Post
            I have also taken a look at the PDF-XChange' site. What version are you refering to?
            The free Viewer. See my sig.

Comment

pdf readers

Hello admsupport,

There exists a lot of free pdf readers!
              For instance:
              Abdio PDF Reader, Adobe Reader, Brava! Reader, CAD-KAS PDF Reader, Cool PDF Reader,
              Drumlin PDF Reader, eXPert PDF Reader, Foxit Reader, Free PDF Action™ Reader, Ghostview,
              Haihaisoft PDF Reader, NightLabs PDF Viewer, PDF-Xchange, PDF Quick Reader, PdfMeNot.com, Sumatra PDF, STDU Viewer, Xpdf

You can try one of these pdf readers or search another one in the World Wide Web!
              I prefer Adobe Reader!
              Last edited by Frank; 21.09.2008, 05:20 PM. Reason: changings

Comment

Hi Frank,
                This off topic (IV PDF) but, I was curious to have some feedback aout the PDF-Xchange, because this is probably the best application to comment, draw, etc. on pdf documents.

I agree with you in the sens that Adobe (even thought is a bloated software, using a HUGE ressource in disk space & system - now with Adobe Air & Adobe.com included with the version 9, without possiblity to no installing them ) renders the best on screen.

There is no comparison with any of the other pdf viewers on the market. It just needs to use: title windows horizontally or vertically in XP or Vista, with both adobe reader & another pdf reader open to see the visual difference
                Last edited by admsupport; 17.09.2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Even I admit that sometimes the Adobe bloatware performs better. That's why I keep it around. But Foxit is my default reader, because it is the fastest one with the features I use most. Adobe sits on the shelf covered with virtual dust.

IrfanView is not a great PDF viewer, but it can be useful in converting PDF into images and vice-versa. I don't like having to open a PDF in IV because it takes a long time. The PDF file is actually converted into images, a tedious workaround. It is not good for reading a PDF -- but then PDF is not designed for reading anyway. It is not eye-friendly. I have a great dislike of PDF, useful as it may be for cross-platform file sharing. I use a PDF-to-text converter whenever I need to read a lot. Sometimes the text in a PDF is actually an image, and I can use IV to help me convert it into something my OCR software can read and output text from.

With the IMpdf plugin, IV can produce very good PDFs from images -- an appropriate use for an image viewer
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I prefer Adobe Reader as my primary PDF reader, too. But, I have come to like version 7. For some difficult-loading PDFs, I find Foxit to be much better than Adobe or PDF X-Change. All three though are very nice, despite their weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                      IrfanView is not a great PDF viewer, but it can be useful in converting PDF into images and vice-versa. [...] The PDF file is actually converted into images, a tedious workaround [...] Sometimes the text in a PDF is actually an image, and I can use IV to help me convert it into something my OCR software can read and output text from.

With the IMpdf plugin, IV can produce very good PDFs from images -- an appropriate use for an image viewer
                      Matera,
                      Your information was helpful, thank you. I can know understand better the proper function of the plug-in. I have a question related the installation of Ghost script.

On the Ghostscript page http://www.ghostscript.com/awki/AFPL_Ghostscript_8.54 There is a font set (Print Screen of the web page)

Is it necessary to IV?
                      Where to install the font set (what directory)?
                      Does it improve the rendering of the text of the PDF in IV?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                      X