Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMAIL Plugin: How to open smpt port 465

Hi,

how to open a port (other than 25) for sending email with IV 4.2, using SMPT instead of MAPI.

I use gmail smpt 465

Thanks for the tip

There should be no problem, unless you have a firewall blocking it. Then you have to speak to the firewall.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
      There should be no problem, unless you have a firewall blocking it. Then you have to speak to the firewall.
      Since there is no smpt port selection in the window email plugin and the help file says the default port is 25, can you tell me how to make the rule in the XP firewall. I can only open TCP/UDP ports on the XP firewall window.

Besides the XP Firewall filter incoming pakets only and not outgoing. Souldn't be any problem with outgoing emails?

Comment

The SMTP port cannot be modified from the plugin settings.
        Google uses SSL over SMTP, and even if you change the port, the plugin must support this. I doubt it supports SSL anyway...
        RIOT developer
        visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

So the port can't be modified by the plugin, then one would say this is not plugin-related, but concerns a firewall.
          Correct, but then the SSL support seems yet be related to the capacities of the email-plugin.

2 admsupport
          Anyway, OT, test results show that the XP firewall scores very low in comparison with others.
          So maybe try the learning mode of the free firewall by softperfect.com to make a rule with that portnumber.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

sam_zen: Could you post here a link to these firewall test results?
            From my experience the Windows Firewall does his job very good for a software firewall, - block incoming connections.

This problem is not firewall related. The plugin does not allow you to use other port than 25, nor SSL connections...
            RIOT developer

Comment

Not firewall related indeed, that why the 'OT'.
              I don't have any data from test results, I just saw it in a consumer program.
              I never used the windows firewall, nor will, so I don't have an opinion about its custom options.

Maybe I've a different view on firewalls, but I consider a good job, when I can tune the permitting rules, both in and out.
              The rest is just blocked, so that's not my primary focus.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It doesn't seem to me that the IrfanView SMTP is of much use, unless for an intranet. An attempt to send through my ISP account results in "Error! 550:SMTP Server not ready for data" when I would at least expect a request for my password (another missing element in the e-mail dialog).

I read once somewhere that every piece of software aspires to send e-mail and is not satisfied until it can. (Someone was trying to be funny.) I would rather use a dedicated e-mail client anyway.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The email plugin is very simple. It does not support even SMTP authentication. Nowadays all open relay servers are spam heavens, so even if you manage to send it through a open relay it will be blocked by anti-spam programs.

My advice is to ignore this plugin.

Firewalls: my main concern are incoming connection, not what programs connnect to the internet from my computer. I am smart enough not to install dangerous programs.
                  RIOT developer

Comment

I agree with matera and luciansabo.
                    Programs claiming to do an email as well. Without any further relevancy inside the main function.
                    This is also valid for IrfanView. Email has nothing to do with graphics or other media.

Of course it's a good advice to ignore this plugin, and use a dedicated mail-client like Thunderbird.
                    But the whole package of plugins is still from way ago. Some have been updated, some are added.
                    Maybe it's time to go through the plugin-list with a looking-glass, to see if it could be cleaned from obsolete items.
                    This could avoid that especially starters would get false hopes about some function.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
                      The email plugin is very simple. It does not support even SMTP authentication.
                      Luciansabo, you have answered my question. I know from the IV documentation the plug-in only supported the port 25, but I was wondering if...

General comment about the thread:
                      I find the plug-in a time saver when I am in hurry (even with MAPI protocol) because I don't need to swap windows - Email client is Outlook here.

Regarding firewalls in home networking, XP FW is indeed reliable since SP2. Moreover, with the increase of the NAT routers in the home networking (knowing that 99% of the users have a client configuration and do not act as server), I would say that proper settings have more value than any given firewall brand name.
                      Last edited by admsupport; 27.09.2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X