Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slideshow: EXIF Data dialogbox doesnt show

While displaying a slideshow in full screen (manual advance mode),
    it is possible to display Image properties dialogbox by pressing <I> key.
    Although the 'EXIF data' button is present, any clicks get ingored and EXIF Data dialog box will not be displayed.

Watching a slideshow with 'manual slide advancement' it would be great to have this option fixed -
    while viewing a picture it's neat to check EXIF data and possibly (whenever image holds geodata) to move on to Google Earth ...

IrfanView can prevail!

You're right that it doesn't work.

As a workaround, you could browse your files fullscreen, which isn't much different and still access the EXIF button. Also, if you choose View>Start/Stop automatic viewing (SHIFT+A), the button works, but you have to stop the slideshow before you press the button, or else the EXIF keeps updating to the next image's.

Alternatively, you could just set up the slideshow to display EXIF information as text on the screen.

Comment

Exif button entirely stopped to cooperate

Thanks for your reply, Skippy.
      Odd enough, in the meantime version 4.20 completely stopped displaying EXIF info on my PC - the button just sits there like a dumb duck.

On revisiting this bug, I discovered this problem already started with version 4.00.
      After downgrading to version 3.99 everything (!) looks fine to me, including the original slideshow flaw ...
      Is there anyone out there knowing which technnical change (or Windows update?) might have introduced this bug?
      Last edited by MikeS_850; 02.10.2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS_850 View Post
        While displaying a slideshow in full screen (manual advance mode),
        it is possible to display Image properties dialogbox by pressing <I> key.
        Although the 'EXIF data' button is present, any clicks get ingored and EXIF Data dialog box will not be displayed.
        Be careful. I believe the real bug is that the I key works at all during slide show. I don't think it is supposed to. The information you see does not relate to the current slideshow image but to an ordinary Irfanview window that lurks behind it.
        If you play the slideshow in a small window you can see what is happening. The I key then does not work because that other window has been minimized. If you restore it by clicking the IV icon on the taskbar, the I key works but you can clearly see that the information relates to that window not the slideshow.

Comment

Odd enough, in the meantime version 4.20 completely stopped displaying EXIF info on my PC - the button just sits there like a dumb duck.
          That is odd. Have you reinstalled it?

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Be careful. I believe the real bug is that the I key works at all during slide show. I don't think it is supposed to. The information you see does not relate to the current slideshow image but to an ordinary Irfanview window that lurks behind it.
          If you play the slideshow in a small window you can see what is happening. The I key then does not work because that other window has been minimized. If you restore it by clicking the IV icon on the taskbar, the I key works but you can clearly see that the information relates to that window not the slideshow.
          Isn't the image in the window the same as in the slideshow? They seem to correlate.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            Isn't the image in the window the same as in the slideshow? They seem to correlate.
            They are not properly synchronized. If you change the slide displayed, the image in the window does not update until you give it the focus and press F5. If the EXIF window was open when you started the slideshow then you will still see that displayed, but it does not advance at all; it still shows data for the image that was being displayed before the show was started. I would guess that we are looking at things that were not intended to be viewed.

Comment

When I change the slide displayed, the image in the window does update with or without giving it focus. In fact, the image in the slideshow replaces any image in the viewer when I restore the viewer.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              If the EXIF window was open when you started the slideshow then you will still see that displayed, but it does not advance at all; it still shows data for the image that was being displayed before the show was started.
              Yes, but that seems to be expected if the EXIF button is unresponsive anyway.

Maybe we're not supposed to view it, but considering how this feature works with SHIFT+A, I think it could work if corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                When I change the slide displayed, the image in the window does update with or without giving it focus. In fact, the image in the slideshow replaces any image in the viewer when I restore the viewer.
                Yes, it updates whenever you restore but not necessarily with the correct display view; that needs an F5.
                Maybe we're not supposed to view it, but considering how this feature works with SHIFT+A, I think it could work if corrected.
                It does look like a useful feature that was never quite finished.

Unfortunately, none of this helps MikeS_850 view his EXIF data.

Comment

Well, we've given him some alternatives. What more can we do for a bug?
                  Last edited by Skippybox; 03.10.2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

It is extremely odd indeed ... I uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, you name it ... 4.00, 4.10 and 4.20: neither EXIF button would work anymore.
                    Well, the best alternative is to use Version 3.99 (and plugin version 4.20 ) until further insight emerges. I am rather unhappy with this, but hey, it's working !
                    Thanks all anyway

MikeS

Comment

Toggle Text in Slideshow

IrfanView allows you to toggle information on screen, like EXIF, using key N in slideshows and fullscreen. Of course, you'll have to go to Slideshow and put $Ex in the Show text box. However, some of the settings, like text color are controlled in Properties>Full screen.

Comment

It is extremely odd indeed ... I uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, you name it ... 4.00, 4.10 and 4.20: neither EXIF button would work anymore.
                        Well, the best alternative is to use Version 3.99 (and plugin version 4.20 ) until further insight emerges. I am rather unhappy with this, but hey, it's working !
                        Thanks all anyway

MikeS
                        If your EXIF button does not seem to work it might simply be out of view. This happens to me sometimes with this dialog and others from other programs if the last position of the box is stored and I move my monitors around and change their positions in Windows' display settings so that the window is no longer in the viewport relative to position 0,0.

You can tell that the EXIF window really does show because the info window loses focus. At that point the EXIF window should have focus. Press and release Alt+Space, then M, then an arrow key, then move your mouse. Click to stop dragging the window around.

This works for most of the dialogs this happens to and to me this is much simpler than trying to remember where each program stores the window location, especially since rearanging monitors happens only once in a blue moon, at least for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X