Custom selection extras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Custom selection extras

A handy feature of the custom crop selection box is that the previous settings are saved. A nice extra on the dialog would be an "As set" button to copy the existing coordinates of a selection box from the screen. This would be useful when doing copy and paste operations. I usually want to drag the box visually to frame the copy area, but then need to save the dimensions to use again later for the paste operation. Yes, I know I could type them in but it takes time and it's easy to make mistakes.
    The centimetre and inches options for the setting dimensions are almost useless at present because they only allow integer values. Can we have decimals too please?

Yes Mij, for the purpose you describe an extra 'As set' in the Shift-C box would be nice indeed. A button in the menubar would be even nicer. Or at least a shortcut. I tried to work out the need of your suggestion and eventually you have a point no less. Still I keep thinking your purpose needs layers, something IV still cannot provide. If I would copy and paste the way you descriped, I already would've started a second IV to preserve the coordinates of the crops in between. That is quicker than typing them in. Already downloaded IrfanPaint? http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/

Comment

"As Set" button

I am not sure about your Menu idea, Sjef. I generally open Custom Selection using the Shift-C shortcut so would prefer to have the button in the Custom box below the Selection size/position control. (They have kindly left a space for it there). After dragging my selection box I would then press Shift-C, "As Set", "Apply to image" and I have stored the 4 variables.
      I am surprised how few people seem to know that you can Cut from a selection box and then Paste to a selection box on another image to create Insets or add logos and the like. The one problem is that you have to remember the exact shape of the selection box you copied from and reproduce it for the box you paste in to, otherwise your Inset image is distorted. So that is why I want to use Custom selection to remember it for me. The beauty is that Custom selection can still reproduce it next day, and even in a second copy of IV that you start up. (Handy for multiple Insets - you can do all your copying in one and all the pasting in the second).
      Yes, layers would be nice so that you could move the Inset around later. As it is you can drag the selection to where you want it with the right mouse button and enlarge or reduce in size by dragging the edges with Cntrl pressed, but once you have pressed Paste that is where the image stays.
      Does IrfanPaint support layers?

Comment

Please keep in mind, that many IV users never work with the options you so very much bring into action. You wrote it yourself:
        Originally posted by Mij View Post
        I am surprised how few people seem to know that you can Cut from a selection box and then Paste to a selection box on another image to create Insets or add logos and the like.
        So I don't think an 'As set' button has a high priority improving IrfanView. But maybe in future your request will be included in IrfanPaint.
        Your question about layers:
        Originally posted by Sjef View Post
        Still I keep thinking your purpose needs layers, something IV still cannot provide.

Comment

The beauty of IrfanView is its simplicity, yet providing the ability to be fairly robost & perform complex tasks - so yes, even though a lot of people don't use or know about a particular feature is NO reason to say it's not important; I think this is a very viable request. I, too, would like to have the ability to be able to copy a selection, then paste it w/o even having to specify the Shift-C command, having it default to the copied/cut image's size or dimensions if a selection area hasn't aready been made (or "applied"). If a selection area has been specified, then obviously the pasted image would "fit" into that area, just as it presently does. This should be no big deal, I would think.

Again, IrfanView is a tremendous product - and could/should be even better!
          Last edited by kburton; 25.07.2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I also find myself wishing that there were a few more options for custom crop. I would probably use a memorized list of custom sizes a hundred times more often than I use the copy/move to options, and the ability to repeat a hand-drawn selection would be in the neighborhood of heaven.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Maybe you could try this folkes: http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm (free).

Comment

Working...
              X