Restore Scrap files to .jpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore Scrap files to .jpg

In transferring around 12 jpg files from a 1Gb compact flash disk to my hard drive via the PC's card reader, I inadvertantly cut instead of copied these files. The paste to the hard drive appeared as a 12Mb scrap file which I am unfamiliar with. Assuming the files were still on the clipboard I pasted back to their location on the Compact Flash, -same result -another @#$! scrap file.
    So far I have been unable to find meaningful discussion on recovery or restore or conversion of this scrap file back to the original jpg format.

As a last resort I used DataDoctor recovery tool to recover the deleted/cut files from the flash disk however I could only get a partial recover as I suspect that in pasting the files back to their original location on the flash disk may have overwritten the original jpg files.

I assume the original jpg data is still embedded in the scrap file and any info on how to extract/convert/restore these jpg files would be greatly appreciated...

This question has nothing to do with IrfanView, so I moved it to the off-topic forum. I hope someone else can help you, but you might have more chance of success on a general PC help site like PC Advisor where there are 100,000 + members.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the advice -Irfanview is my preferred graphics app. and gives me the message "Can't read file Header !" when I try to open some of the recovered deleted files... Ditto the scrap file...

Comment

Digital Image Recovery

Did you try the program "Digital Image Recovery"?
        (Here you can download this tool as a zip file!)

regards
        Frank

Comment

You might try a hex editor. Once you have learned to identify the beginning and ending of a typical JPG file, it is possible to copy one out of a nest of other code and paste it into a new hex editor window and save as jpg. Great fun if you enjoy little challenges.

Very bad idea to paste back, yes you overwrote the original deleted files
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
          X