Option to disable all messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Option to disable all messages

That's it, IrfanView is plagued with unnecessary warning messages, and quite a few can't be disabled from Properties.

Last one I got goes as follows "Warning ! The file "C:\directory\file.ico" is a BMP file with incorrect extension ! Rename ?" and there seems to be no way of getting rid of it other than unticking ICO from the "Extensions" tab, but then IrfanView doesn't display these images anymore.

Regards.

Hmm, I never had such an impression of being flooded by all kinds of warning messages. Maybe because I don't have that
    much of crappy bitmap-files. Anyway, disabling any message is always a bad choice. Maybe missing important info.
    I prefer to choose with each individual error message if it should be produced in the future or not.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I believe the user should be given the right to disable these messages individually, it saves time when you already know what you're doing and what to expect, which's exactly my case; I don't need to be told some of the files have unmatching extensions over and over again, it makes no difference, afteralls, they are displayed properly.

Comment

An IV error message should tell you something. In your case you could conclude the ico file isn't a real ico, but properly a bmp with the wrong extension. I use version 4 too and all my icons are shown fine.
        Your request still is a subject-matter though, but I like those error messages. They keep me sharp.
        Last edited by Sjef; 13.07.2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

The wrong extension warning can be turned off. Misc.1, fourth down, "Ask to rename if incorrect extension"

It can be nice to know when a file is misnamed. Someone else might find it hard to deal with if you send it to them or upload it to a website.

Didn't I hear someone complain recently about the lack of a warning message?
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

If realizing how stupid my post was makes me feel like trash, I can only wonder how it must be to our moderators who failed to come up with the answer

Thanks everyone, specially matera for the hint.

Comment

You can come out from under that rock now

My favorite (NOT!) error message is the "can't read file header" one. I do a lot of test-dragging of mysterious files. It pestered me so much I had to write a script to shoot it down . Sometimes I turn off the "wrong extension" one, but as I said, it can be useful.
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

2nd thoughts.
                There is a slight distinction between 'warning' messages, often with a choice to act, and 'error' messages, with just some conclusion.
                The first warning message was a useful one, because not only a wrong ico-format was detected, but the right bmp-format was detected too. So the question to correct that, is a legimate one. And quite elegant in fact.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

picky, picky
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...