Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugins in U3?

I use Irfanview from my U3 Usb-stick
    Does anyone know how to add plugins in Irfanview when used in U3?

Don't know. Same way as usual I suppose. Install them to \IV folder\plugins\
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The U3-version only has two folders: Data and Exec.
      I put the plugin in both, but that doesn't work.

Comment

I don't know much about U3. Did you try this package?

Comment

Yes, but that 'all plugins' doesn't including Postscript

Comment

Does this post help?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
              Does this post help?
              Thanks.
              I'll try that tomorrow at work. At home here, I use Linux and that doesn't work with U3.

Comment

You're welcome. You know you don't need to use U3, since IrfanView is portable. Why do you need U3?

Comment

I use U3 because at my work I use a networkcomputer and I'm not allowd to install anything on it. The problem is, when I use a normal portable application, it use my profilespace. With U3, the application itself puts nothing on the computer. That plus I find the U3 menu rather handy.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but IrfanView shouldn't put anything on the computer either, except registry associations which are optional. It would also possibly cause your Recent list to update on your user profile, but is that important?

Comment

According to what I read about it, U3 puts a lot more on the computer. The U3-installed software is compressed, it has to be uncompressed into temporary directories and run from there. All that is deleted afterward, but there are some traces left and small entires in the registry. Anyway, there seems to be no way to add anything to a U3 installation by normal means.

I prefer a more direct approach, with true portability that doesn't depend on special packaging. I had one U3 stick, but I cleared it out. I have never regrettid that.
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Skippybox wrote:
                        I don't know for sure, but IrfanView shouldn't put anything on the computer either, except registry associations which are optional. It would also possibly cause your Recent list to update on your user profile, but is that important?

That statement doesn't sound right. IrfanView writes an .ini file, often in a user profile sub-folder.

HTH

Comment

Often maybe, if one is not alert. The ini-file can stay in the root-dir of IV.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam_Zen is correct. Only is the INI put in your user profile if you chose that in the installation. There is the other option to place it in the root directory of IrfanView. Remember, you do not necessarily need to install in Program Files. One can also skip installation completely, and just use the ZIP download or even the single executable, for instance, from:

IrfanView Directory Browsing

Comment

you do not necessarily need to install in Program Files.
                              Right on. Program Files is a bulky environment. I prefer to have IrfanView e.g. at a place like C:\graphtools\IrfanView\..
                              It runs well and it should. Installation path should be a free choice.

In the course of time I've met a few apps which only functioned properly if setup in Program Files.
                              Due to system and local path defaults in the settings. A bad thing imo.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X