Improve Print Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Improve Print Preview

I had to print a few images a yesterday and noticed how slowly the Print Preview dialog works. An user has requested that the dialog needs to be disabled. I suppose it needs an improvement to how the picture is handled. It would not help in that other user's case, but it will make setting up the print job faster in general.

My pics were 75 megs, grayscale (loaded from a deflated PNG, but I think it doesn't matter).

It appears that currently IrfanView downsamples the input picture for the preview dialog every time a setting is changed, such as center or uncenter, adjust margins etc. It also repeats the prorcess if the preview pic needs to be redrawn, such as when the user moves a window over the small pic. What if the program downsampled the picture once to an acceptable size for preview purposes, such as < 400*400 px² and then worked with that smaller image?

I'm not sure if it makes sense what I'm saying. If it does, then please move to the feature section.

Moved

Hi j7n,

I moved indeed your thread to the Feature Requests.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Why would anyone print an image 75 MB big? I've print-previewed an image of 32 MB (20.000 x 13.000 pixels) and there was nothing wrong with my previews. Of course the image is being buffered. I checked severe printerdrivers (among which is the Fineprint 'virtual' driver). Changing the other settings (Portret, Scale, Custom sized without Aspect ratio) didn't slow anything. I noticed only one odd symptom: there was no preview of inserted headers and footers.

Comment

I don't see any big problem here, even with my biggest image from the Hubble Space telescope — 86.12 MB (90,307,928 Bytes). It takes 2 seconds to load, and 1 or 2 seconds to preview. Perfectly acceptable if I did ever want to print such a big image from IV.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi j7n,

As Bhikkhu Pesala and Sjef have no problem with big files, I wonder why the preview is slow in your case. Is your printer attached on another computer on a network? I believe that this could make the preview slower. In this case, the solution could be to have a faster network.
          Anyway, the suggestion for IrfanView to use a reduced version of a large image to generate the preview remains useful because there are people working over a network.

Laurent
          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Why would anyone print an image 75 MB big?
            I happen to have a picture this large and want to reduce it once before printing, because I don't want to spend time with manual calculation how large a 600 DPI pic would be (it was around 1200 dpi).

It takes 2 seconds to load, and 1 or 2 seconds to preview.
            It is OK if you know beforehand what settings to use for the print to look optimal. But you might choose Best Fit next time and find that a manual scale found with trial and error gives the intented result. You will have to wait those 1 or 2 seconds after every operation!

Hi Laurent,

I used a parallel port printer HP 840C with WinXP universal driver (it now prints Word tables, yay!). I don't think it matters how the printer is connected during the preview phase, because I tried this on another computer where the printer used to be connected and the Preview behaved exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
              Why would anyone print an image 75 MB big?
              - artists and architects, among others, may do things that no sane person understands - LOL

I think j7n has a good idea - if only it can be done. I am "lucky" to have a crumby printer, so I can only print small things. My friend who prints large things, including fractal images that IrfanView kindly converts for me, has a Mac, and her own set of problems.

You might want to try something like Ratio Calculator to shorten the time spent getting math headaches.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thank you for the link to Ratio Calculator. Looks like it will come handy when assymetrically downsizing & cropping videos.

Comment

Working...
                X