Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PNG to ICO = background -- How to stop/delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNG to ICO = background -- How to stop/delete?

When I convert a PNG to an ICO image, I end up with a square box of color behind the image - a background, not a border. Is there anyway to delete the adding of a background color or to make the background transparent? There are some neat PNGs that make great ico's that are a bit larger than ico and do not lose their resolution when making them larger either. But the square box background drives me nuts against my dark desktop. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.07.2007, 09:12 AM.

Do you really need to use such a large font?

You can save the ICO files with transparency. Check the box on the Save As dialogue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ah. A shouting person.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Don't criticize - empathize ... I assume you mean my post is in large font? I cannot tell, it only shows one size for me ... advise please!

By the way, the clicking on transparent when saving a PNG to a ICO file does not work - same background appears ....

Comment

Your post was edited to remove the font size attribute. (This is size 3)

That is why it now shows at a normal size.

If you are visually impaired, you should be using a screen magnfier or a browser with a zoom option. Others will regard such a very large font (size 6) as shouting.

There are two checkboxes on the Save As dialogue for ICO format. Did you choose the right one? Have you tested the image in a browser? The background shown in IV depends on the colour set in Properties, Viewing, main window colour.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.07.2007, 06:59 PM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No Seeing Eye Dog nor Cat

No, I am not visually impaired - nor am I a newbie to computers - probably have been around computers longer than you have been alive.

I have my IE set to only display one size font due to a conflict with software I must use for work ..which I forgot about ... sorry - did not know I had inadvertenty set the font size to SHOUT. Many apologies and a big hug and kiss to the kind man who "whispered" to me that my font was showing ...such a gentleman that he was not to be so public about it.

Thanks to the others for their suggestions - I solved the problem elsewhere.

Comment

Relax. I was just joking a bit.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi miss or mister sandrachupka. Dit you install the latest IV and the latest plugins at http://www.irfanview.com/? If so, check 'Show options dialog' at the foot of the Save dialogbox. Now you can see an extra dialog after choosing to save as ICO. There's no need to have a transparent png file. Using the plugin it may be an other format as well. After checking the PNGOUT Plugin and after clicking on Save, a dialogbox appears to ask you to point out the transparent color (see the attachments). I couldn't see any shouting font on my IE at all...
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X