Just stop after last file in directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Just stop after last file in directory

I have yet another nitpicky suggestion and that is to just do nothing after trying to advance past the last image or file in a directory while browsing.

I have turned off the option "If the end/begin of the folder is reached, loop current folder (during browsing)", so now when I hit the last image and try to advance it brings up the "Browse Subfolders" window.
    I would prefer if this were optional, so that nothing happens when i reach the last image.

Something like an option to either have that window appear when you reach the end of the folder, or do nothing when you reach the end of the folder.

It my mind the configuration for this option could be a dropdown menu of different options to perform when the end is reached. Let's say stuff like loop around, or display browse window, or do nothing, or exit program, etc...

Anyone like this idea?

Thanks!

It sounds sensible.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Very good suggestion. It doesn't take long to learn that for example a blank window means end of directory. That single click to dismiss the dialog box doesn't seem much but it adds up as you use the program everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by buaku View Post
        I have yet another nitpicky suggestion and that is to just do nothing after trying to advance past the last image or file in a directory while browsing.

It my mind the configuration for this option could be a dropdown menu of different options to perform when the end is reached. Let's say stuff like loop around, or display browse window, or do nothing, or exit program, etc...

Thanks!
        I totally support this.
        For years I was used to ACDSee 2.43, but its possibilities are limited.
        Irfanview is a much bigger replacement.
        But this dialog is very annoing and I dont want to cycle again and again through the directory.
        It just has to stop at the last or first image, without any notifying. It is my part to notice that the end has been reached. Please.

Thanks in andvance

Or is there any slightly older version whithout this "dialog feature"?
        And when so, where?
        Last edited by oldman; 16.08.2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I totally support this feature suggestion!
          Older versions are available here: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=irfanview
          Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

Support ++
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
              That single click to dismiss the dialog box doesn't seem much but it adds up as you use the program everyday.
              Well, perhaps it adds up, but what are you doing now to advance through the folder of images now?

If you are using the <Space> bar, then just another push of the <Space> bar will accept the selection in that opened "Browse Subfolders" window. You really don't have to reach for the mouse to click your selection in that window.

On the bottom of that "Browse Subfolders" window there is a hint that pressing the <Right arrow> or <Space> accepts the currently highlighted folder, or pressing the <Left arrow> key will take you up a level. That's fairly easy to use.

Don't want to go to the first image of the folder? then just press the <Esc> key, which dismisses the window with no selection made.

When I am using IV to browse through a folder of images, I watch the counter in the menu of IV. It shows that I am now looking at the number "N/X" image (where N is the sequence of image I am looking at, of a total quantity of X images). Then, as my number N gets near the X quantity I know I am nearing the end of the folder of images. No surprises.

I don't like the idea of no notification, or of a white (or any color) screen, since that is not really telling me anything untoward. I could easily "mis-interpret" whatever, since some PCs can get a little bit busy in doing other matters. I may think the computer is just busy and can't readily get to that next picture. Currently, the pop-up of the "Browse Subfolders" window is very informative.

Just my two centavos.
              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
                ... I don't like the idea of no notification ...
                Me too. - I think it will give rise to frequent questions to the forum along the lines of "IV isn't reponding when I press the forward key/space bar".

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Scroll options

I'm not glad about more and more sub-options when the basic option is well-founded. So I'm also not keen about the ‘If the end/begin of the folder is reached’-option. I would vote for no adds at all here. Most viewers stops at the last file in the directory, but while IrfanView is'n just any viewer , it should loop and that's it (in my opinion). Of course not in batch operations.

Comment

History Lesson

I support buaku's feature as well.

Originally posted by oldman View Post
                    Or is there any slightly older version whithout this "dialog feature"?And when so, where?
                    The "Browse Subfolders" dialog, when folder end/begin is reached (CTRL+B) made its debut with Version 3.97 (Release date: 2005-04-22). Thus, I would suggest the previous version to this, Version 3.95 (Release date: 2004-10-26), which used this box accompanied by a beep:

While I don't know when the transition occurred, I believe in Version 2.05 (Release date: 29.09.1996) this box was used, also accompanied by a beep:

If you are using the <Space> bar, then just another push of the <Space> bar will accept the selection in that opened "Browse Subfolders" window. You really don't have to reach for the mouse to click your selection in that window.

On the bottom of that "Browse Subfolders" window there is a hint that pressing the <Right arrow> or <Space> accepts the currently highlighted folder, or pressing the <Left arrow> key will take you up a level. That's fairly easy to use.

Don't want to go to the first image of the folder? then just press the <Esc> key, which dismisses the window with no selection made.
                    ChuckE is correct, and even in 3.95, as you can see, pressing <Enter> (OK) would still loop you. You are forced to press <Esc> (Cancel) or somehow actuate Cancel, if you don't want go back to the first image. The only method that works as you possibly would like, is in version 2.05, where OK just acknowledges you've reached the end; no loop to first image! But, who really wants to use such an old version. If you're really turned off by the "Browse Subfolders" dialog, then I'd use 3.95, but in reality both work the same, and the Browse dialog is far more useful.

Comment

I do not much like the appearance of the Browse subfolders dialog box, it looks rather like a throwback to DOS, and the inconsistent use of "continue in another folder" in the question, "Use folder" on the button and "enter the folder" in the hint does not help either.
                      It is especially annoying to me when giving a presentation to an audience (full screen view) but when browsing by myself (in normal view) I do find the dialog quite useful to move up or down to parent or sub directory levels.
                      So, sorry to complicate the issue even more, but my vote would be to have the dialog in normal view but not in full screen.

Comment

When I am using IV to browse through a folder of images, I watch the counter in the menu of IV. It shows that I am now looking at the number "N/X" image (where N is the sequence of image I am looking at, of a total quantity of X images). Then, as my number N gets near the X quantity I know I am nearing the end of the folder of images. No surprises.

I don't like the idea of no notification, or of a white (or any color) screen, since that is not really telling me anything untoward. I could easily "mis-interpret" whatever, since some PCs can get a little bit busy in doing other matters. I may think the computer is just busy and can't readily get to that next picture.
                        Your statements seem contradictive. If you aren't surprised, then why would you mis-interpret what is going on?

Comment

OK, it would not necessarily be me to be quizzed by a non-responsive system, if I knew I was already on the last image within a folder. I was speaking for those that may not have noticed the existing counter.

But even then, I like to see something, some information or feedback for any action I do. Having nothing happen (no beeps, or popup messages) tells me nothing.

I am sorry I had to explain this to you. Are you just trying to be argumentative or funny?
                          I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                          Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Thank-you

OK, it would not necessarily be me to be quizzed by a non-responsive system, if I knew I was already on the last image within a folder. I was speaking for those that may not have noticed the existing counter.

I am sorry I had to explain this to you. Are you just trying to be argumentative or funny?
                            Neither. You used "I" in your explanation, so I thought that was who you were referring to. That is why your explanation seemed contradictory. I guess you were just saying that you might not be surprised sometimes, but other times you (or another user), might not be so watchful. I appreciate you clearing that up. I completely agree with you that some notification is necessary, but apparently the OP doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X