change pictures in place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change pictures in place

Is it possible to change with batch the pictures (dimensions) in place? So that there are no new pics, the old ones are replaced in-place with the changed ones.

Thank you

It depends on where you have the pictures. What do you need?

Here is one method:

If you choose Advanced in the batch dialog, there are Miscellaneous options to choose from. Choosing the Create subfolders in destination folder option, leaving the Output directory for result files box blank, will put everything back where it came from. Check Overwrite existing files if you want to resave with exactly the same name, but don't check Delete original files after conversion, too. Else all the files you have just resaved will be deleted!

Experiment first before doing the real thing!
    Last edited by Skippybox; 09.12.2008, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
      It depends on where you have the pictures. What do you need?

Here is one method:

If you choose Advanced in the batch dialog, there are Miscellaneous options to choose from. Choosing the Create subfolders in destination folder option, leaving the Output directory for result files box blank, will put everything back where it came from. Check Overwrite existing files if you want to resave with exactly the same name, but don't check Delete original files after conversion, too. Else all the files you have just resaved will be deleted!

Experiment first before doing the real thing!
      If I do what you say without delete checked, with overwrite checked and with subfolder checked, it puts the files next to the old files. The overwrite checkbox does not work. If I check delete, it deletes the old files and leaves the new ones. This would be fine except I need it to truly overwrite the old ones because they are under version control and creating new files leaves them out of version control plus it would destroy the file history.

Could you please give an example of how to get the overwrite thing to work again?

Comment

Originally posted by HowitZer View Post
        If I do what you say without delete checked, with overwrite checked and with subfolder checked, it puts the files next to the old files.The overwrite checkbox does not work. If I check delete, it deletes the old files and leaves the new ones.
        That doesn't sound possible. If two files have the same names, including extensions, then they cannot coexist in the same folder. Either you changed the output format by mistake, or you have rename result files selected, instead of a straight conversion.

The conversion window should give you a warning that the file exists and what is being overwritten. If you're not getting this, then look at what the converted names are compared to the processed file in the window. If it's renaming, there will be a pattern displayed at the top.

Comment

I agree with Skippybox. You should not be able to have two files with exactly the same names in a folder. Are you perhaps converting to a different file type and not displaying the extension?

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            I agree with Skippybox. You should not be able to have two files with exactly the same names in a folder. Are you perhaps converting to a different file type and not displaying the extension?
            That can be the only explanation - Windows does not permit two files with the same names and extensions, in the same folder!
            Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
            IrfanView Website - Here
            Sam_Zen's Website - Here
            Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
            X