Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV unable to find effects.dll

Hi

I'm a happy user of IrfanView, up to now mainly for display and thumbnailing. Just today I tried to go into the effects browser and got the message "unable to find effects.dll" (I paraphrase as I can't be bothered to type the whole thing verbatim). This despite the fact that this DLL is in the plugins directory. To be sure, I downloaded the plugins setup file from the IV site, ran it, and it installed the plugins in the correct directory, but when I restarted IV the same error occurred. I'm using Windows eXtra Pathetic with SP2, IV 3.80, and have installed into a non-default directory. What path does IV look for effects.dll in?

No big - I'll de- and re-install IV and see if that does any good, and if not I suppose I'll have to use my Corel bloatware... I just thought this was worth reporting in case it is a bug rather than something local to my machine.

Cheers

Fred

Perhaps your Effects.dll is for the 4.0 version of IV. And you state that you use IV 3.80. Why not upgrade IV to version 4.0?
    Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

It seems that you might be trying to use the latest effects.dll with an older version of IV. Right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, and check its properties (version tab).
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

LOL love the Windwoes epithet

The installer always finds the right directory. But if the version is not right...oops. It is absolutely essential to have correct version match-up with many of the plugins.

You should always update IV anyway, because it keeps getting better Though I'm always wailing - very quietly, to myself - "Oh noes, gotta DL plugins again!" *Sigh* now I have to keep up with IrfanPaint too.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
          Perhaps your Effects.dll is for the 4.0 version of IV. And you state that you use IV 3.80. Why not upgrade IV to version 4.0?
          Yep, I did that, and all is now fine as I'd have expected. I wasn't putting in a 'support call' but just posting what might be a minor bug. I do try to keep up with the latest versions of software, but I use so many packages on regular basis that's it's hard to keep up <sigh>

Cheers

Fred

Comment

Working...
          X