.tif images after save as .tif again file size increasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.tif images after save as .tif again file size increasing

I am using current version of Irfanview. I am scanning family pictures with .tif format. My question is after just rotating image and saving it .tif again (i am not doing any editing at all, only rotating) why file size is increasing? For example: original scan 585Kb increasing to 18MB. any help is appreciated

The TIFF format can have data in several different encodings (uncompressed, LZW, Deflate, RLE, JPEG). It is most likely that you had been originally using JPEG format and saved it as uncompressed TIFF. Never scan in lossy compressions such as JPEG if you plan to edit your picture. Lossless cropping and rotate by right angle can be done using JPEGCrop.

There is no reason to have a JPEG-TIFF, as it's later hard to tell if the file is lossless or not. Save JPEGs as JPEG-JFIF (*.jpg).
    Last edited by j7n; 26.07.2007, 11:53 AM.

Comment

The photographs i am scanning print shop prints and i am scanning with .tif format. any other suggestions?

Comment

The only way you're going to get a twenty-fold increase in file size is by saving the files in TIF instead of JPG or by saving at higher resolution. Just rotating them is not going to make that much difference.

Are you batch scanning these images from IV? Check the Options on the batch scanning dialogue.

Check and compare the image Information on both the original scanned and rotated images. (Image menu, Information).

Can you attach an image that allegedly expands to 18 Mbyte when rotated?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

There is no such thing as ".tif" format like there is no AVI format. Please explain what is the actual picture format inside the TIFF.

It is a standard practice to compress data once you have finished working on it. But if you must scan to JPEG (due to high volume of pictures in a batch), then use JFIF-JPEG (*.jpg) format which supports limited lossless transformations.

Comment

i am attaching image properties of the sample picture saved as TIF.
            image1.tif is 499kb if i re-save same image as image2.tif size became 18mb.
            i checked the image properties. it says disk size 499kb and current memory size 18mb. am i doing something wrong?
            Attached Files

Comment

As J7n said:
              Originally posted by j7n View Post
              The TIFF format can have data in several different encodings (uncompressed, LZW, Deflate, RLE, JPEG). It is most likely that you had been originally using JPEG format and saved it as uncompressed TIFF.
              The images were small becaused they were compressed with JPEG comrpession although saved with the *.tif extension. See the options on the Save As dialog or the Batch Scan options dialog.

The image info of the orginal scan shows that they were saved with JPG compression.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.07.2007, 05:53 PM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala, thanks for replies. i got it now. can you give me any advice what should i do in order to keep file sizes small? in web i noticed in some web pages saying that scan with .tif extention and first copy then convert to copies to jpeg in order to keep in small size. i am little confuse about what to do. i have over 2000 family pictures and i am trying to digitize and make copies for other family members.thanks

Comment

There is a lot of sound advice on Digital Image File Types

If you want to save space in storing images without any data loss, 7-Zip will compress TIF images better than ZIP archivers. Saving images in PNG format can often save even more space.

Comment

To mirror or rotate a tiff by 90% degrees you can change the orientation tag of the image. I know that Irfanview evaluates this tag to display the image but I don't know if Irfanview offers the posibility to edit tiff tags. So I'm doing this with another tool.

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala, thanks for replies. i got it now. can you give me any advice what should i do in order to keep file sizes small? in web i noticed in some web pages saying that scan with .tif extention and first copy then convert to copies to jpeg in order to keep in small size. i am little confuse about what to do. i have over 2000 family pictures and i am trying to digitize and make copies for other family members.thanks

Comment

Thanks all for help and advices.

Comment

Working...
                        X