I don't want this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want this!

Hoping I'm posting in the right forum: I uploaded Irfanview 4.00 and it changed all my pictures from normal JPG to Irfanview JPG. That's no problem but before I could use Adobe Viewer to see all my pictures at 100% size on the screen of my laptop, I could start a slideshow automatically and I can't that anymore. This program shows my pictures partly and for starting a slide show I need to fill in another pop-up menu with menu question I don't understand (not only because I hardly know computerstuff but also because English is not my native language). I'm not that type of a wizzkid, I want it easy, so I want to go back to my old files, without Irfanview! Resizing I always did with EasyResize, simple in just 3 clicks without difficulties of filling in (technical) form questions. The search engine does not give any clue about uninstalling, so how do I do that?

It is easy enough to uninstall any program from Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.

I wonder why you downloaded IrfanView. It is certainly worth giving it a fair trial.

It is easy enough to start a slideshow. Just open a picture and double-click to enter full-screen mode. Right-click to move to the next picture, left-click to move to the previous one. Or use a ascroll wheel mouse to wizz back and forth through all of the pictures in the folder. Press the Escape key to exit full-screen mode.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Why I downloaded it? I post sometimes pictures on another forum and many are too large so I resized them with Easyresize, quick and simple but the only problem for that other site (not for me) was that the pictures became much smaller than they wanted it. So someone advised my to download Irfanview. I thought it was as easy, well I was wrong, I find it a difficult program - how great it may be.

O, and if I uninstall Irfanview, will then all my pictures become normal JPG's again?

Comment

Hi Suzu,

When you install IrfanView, there is a step where you are asked which type of file (.jpg for instance) you want to have associated with it. Certainly you cheched the JPEG type or perhaps you cheched everything. Once installed, you can still modify it: go to Option / Properties / Extensions and uncheck JPG/JPEG/JPE.
        If you uninstall IrfanView, your previous settings will probably be restored (I never uninstalled IV, except before installing a newer version ). Even if that doesn' work, make a right-click on a JPEG file in Windows Explorer / Open with... / Choose the program and there choose your preferred software and check the box Always use this program (free translation of the french versions).

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks Laurent, I will look at it. And its not that I don't want to try a new program but it is so difficult (and when I read some/most of the posts and questions here, it is all Chinese to me) that I am afraid to do something wrong and I will loose all my pictures (and yes, I have copies, of course, but that takes so much time and effort to get those again, I'm talking about more than 10.000 pictures). Also the FAQ's are for experienced users I guess, I don't understand a word of it: TTL, DDL, and more things I think 'Huh?'

But I am not stubborn so I have another question, I resized a few pictures by Irfanview. The program gave a screen for where to put each but they still kept their old name meaning it would overwrite it. Right? So manually I gave it the same name plus the word resized. If, just if, I want to resize more, can I do more pictures but definitely NOT all pictures on my pc, just from one folder, at the same time with renaming them so I won't loose the original picture? Or do I have to resize them one by one, renaming by hand?

Comment

Hi Suzu. Glad to read you didn't through IrfanView in the Recycle bin. IV is used for more than 10 years by all sorts of users and not without reason. Your talking about 10.000 images, I keep more than a million. I use several viewers and photo-edit applications but IrfanView is my favorite viewer and all of my images are linked to it. For the time being maybe you'd better not link your images to IrfanView. The language of your interface could be set to your own by downloading the specific zip file on http://www.irfanview.com/.
            Press 'B' to Batch convert your images and at the same time rename and save them to any folder but the source folder, so nothing can be overwritten. Check 'Use advanced options' to resize. Once you are accustomed to IrfanView you'll see the many advantages of it. Welcome to the world of IV!

Comment

You only just downloaded this program and you are trying batch operations already, before you figured out how to do a simple resize operation. Then you say that the program is difficult to use. It is not difficult at all, but like any new program you have to take time to learn how to use it.

Perhaps millions of users could be wrong, but somehow I doubt it.

IrfanView gives you lots of options. Once you know what you want to do it is usually easy to achieve. Here are just a few of the resize options you might need:

Resize to a fixed width in pixels
              Resize to a fixed height in pixels
              Resize to a standard screen size, e.g. 600 x 800 pixels
              Half or quarter of the current size (one or two clicks)
              Resize to a specified percentage, e.g. 20%
              Resize to below a certain size in Kbytes (not possible directly).

What is the requirement of the website?
              How wide and high are your original images in pixels?

Normally, when using batch operations, you convert the files and save them in a different output folder so there is no danger of overwriting the originals. Mark them all as read-only if you really want to be safe. When converting images, you often want to overwrite the copies after choosing different options.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Suzu,

Originally posted by Suzu View Post
                Thanks Laurent, I will look at it. And its not that I don't want to try a new program but it is so difficult (and when I read some/most of the posts and questions here, it is all Chinese to me) that I am afraid to do something wrong and I will loose all my pictures (and yes, I have copies, of course, but that takes so much time and effort to get those again, I'm talking about more than 10.000 pictures). Also the FAQ's are for experienced users I guess, I don't understand a word of it: TTL, DDL, and more things I think 'Huh?'
                Doing what I explained here http://www.irfanview-online.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1530 there is no risk to loose any image on your disk, for the reason that this doesn't affect them. It just modifies the information on what Windows has to do (open PhotoShop, or open IrfanView) when you double-click on an image.

Laurent
                Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                  For the time being maybe you'd better not link your images to IrfanView. The language of your interface could be set to your own by downloading the specific zip file on http://www.irfanview.com/.
                  Press 'B' to Batch convert your images and at the same time rename and save them to any folder but the source folder, so nothing can be overwritten. Check 'Use advanced options' to resize. Once you are accustomed to IrfanView you'll see the many advantages of it. Welcome to the world of IV!
                  Hi Sjef, I think they are already linked to it, probably I did something wrong... :-(

My language? That is Dutch and I tried to get a manual but got the message that it was not available.... (btw if I try again should I click server 1 or server 2? What's the difference?)

I wasn't planning to do difficult things (also to Bhikkhu Pesala), I'm just lazy and would like to resize many pictures at the same time instead of one by one, that will save me much time I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzu View Post
                    I wasn't planning to do difficult things (also to Bhikkhu Pesala), I'm just lazy and would like to resize many pictures at the same time instead of one by one, that will save me much time I guess.
                    No doubt that batch operations are the way to go for any more than two or three images, but first you need to find the optimum size and quality settings to suit your personal needs. Use the Resize function (Control R) on one picture, and see what settings work best. Be aware that different types of pictures do require different quality settings.

Compare the two attached images. Both were saved at a JPG quality setting of 50, which might be adequate for most photos if you're more concerned with small file size than with high quality. The Still Life image looks fine, but the Manuscript image looks aweful.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala, can't I just say that I want my pictures resized to let's say 80% of the original? I really don't know what else to fill in.

Comment

You did nothing wrong, Suzu. But if you like to start your images like you used to, you should uncheck those formats in IrfanView. Click on Options > Properties > Extensions and press the button Clear all.

The attachment of Bhikkhu Pesala (the colored one) is 750 x 500 pixels. Workalble for the web. So just look at my attachment to work things out. Press the button Options in the Batch conversion dialog for the way IrfanView must compress your foto's.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for the advises. I managed to resize my pictures in sorted groups (batch) so it saved me a lot of time.

Comment

Working...
                          X