WPG WPG1 WordPerfect Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WPG WPG1 WordPerfect Graphics

Irfanview lists WPG as a graphic format that it reads and converts. I cannot gat it to read or convert for me. I know that there are 2 versions of WPG graphics:

WPG1, used by WPDOS 5.1, WPWin 5.x, DrawPerfect, and other products from the same period.

WPG2, used by WPDOS 6.x, WPWin 6.x, and all later WP versions, and by Corel Presentations and similar programs.

My collection is WPG1, and they are not readable by most new software, which is why I want to convert them to another format. Interestingly, of all the MS Office porgrams, only PowerPoint reads them.

Is there a plug-in for Irfanview that will make it work for WPG? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Try CorelDraw Essentials. I can open my old WPG graphics OK.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Which extension do you mean exactly?
      In the list of supported file formats I can't see a WPG format!

But why not using OpenOffice to convert your old formats into actual formats?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        why not using OpenOffice to convert your old formats into actual formats?[/i]
        Because that doesn't support WPG format either. Only WordPerfect or CorelDraw will reliably open WPG files. Serif™ PagePlus claims to, but it opens only a few bitmap WPG files.

I recommended CorelDraw Essentials as it should be available for next to nothing (it was only £50 over five years ago), and is a powerful graphics application well worth having. It can import and export AI, EPS etc., and publish to PDF.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by gskal View Post
          Irfanview lists WPG as a graphic format that it reads and converts.
          Where did you read that?
          Just to make sure, I exported images from CorelDraw9 in both WPG1 and WPG2, with both the options for text rendering. Irfanview could not read any of them.
          I think Bhikkhu Pesala is probably right. You will need a Corel application to open them.

Comment

WPG Format(s)

In addition to "age" (5.1, 6.0 and 7 thru X4), there are two WPG file formats (actually 3) that haven't been mentioned here.

The WPG format, by design, is 100% VECTOR format.

What gets confusing is that the WPG format can also be 100% BITMAP.

To make it more confusing, WPG files can contain BOTH, part VECTOR and part BITMAP.

There have been many free, shareware, and commercial program that can open the WPG BITMAP format files but cannot open the WPG VECTOR format files.

If you really want to convert a WPG file into a file fomat that Irfanview can read, open the WPG with Presentations, select the entire file, the Save-As a "Windows Metafile" (WMF extension). (I'm assuming that since you have WPG files you also have WordPerfect Office Suite, which includes Presentations.)

FWIW, I've been using Irfanview occasionally for a long time and WordPerfect for much longer. The reason I haven't used Irvanview more is "because" it does not read WPG files.

Comment

WPG Vector Graphics

I guess I started an interesting discussion. Regarding the last suggestion, you can also load the WPG1 vector graphics into a PowerPoint slide, right click the graphic, select SaveAs, and save it as any of the popular formats.

Interesting that among the micorsoft suite porgrams, PowerPoint is the ONLY one that reads these WPG1 graphics.

I was hoping for a batch converter. I did find one, the name of which I cannot remember right now, but it was about $60, and not worth it for the few times I would use it.

The WPG1 Vector graphics are really nice, and that is why I've been trying to find a batch converter. Can't we get a plug in for Irfanview?
              Last edited by gskal; 21.02.2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: add a comment

Comment

There is little point in converting vector graphics to bitmaps. Either you would have to convert them all at a high resolution like 600 dpi, and then resize them according to your current need, or you would have to convert them as and when you need them, and then the benefits of a batch operation are dubious. Just open them in PowerPoint whenever you need to.

What would be useful s a batch converter to convert them to WMF, SVG, EPS, etc. The problem is that the format is not widely used, so demand is minimal.

Try placing one WPG graphic on each page of a Presentation, then publish it to PDF. IrfanView can convert PDF to bitmaps at the resolution set in Postscript options, or PDF-XChange can snapshot PDF files at any resolution up to 2400 dpi.

Here is a sample PDF file I made from WordPerfect 9. Open in PDF-XChange to take a snapshot of any image at whatever resolution you want. I tried opening the PDF in DrawPlus and PagePlus, but getting vector graphics out from the PDF does not produce usable results.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.03.2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Found this thread when searching google for converting wpg graphics. Know this is an old thread but just thought I would update results I had:
                  I took the WPG.pdf file noted above and opened/edited that file in Xara Design Pro and had no difficulty editing the vector graphics in the file.
                  Was hoping to find a way to batch convert wpg to wmf but have not found it yet. I agree with the earlier comment not worth converting wpg to bitmap image.

Comment

The WPG plugin for IrfanView 4.57 will open WPG version 1 files, but not version 2.

Try LibreOffice Draw instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X