Browse files however XP is sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browse files however XP is sorted

Lets say I have my files sorted by size in windows, I think it would be nice if Irfanview also sorted the files by size when viewing them. Or date modified, or type, etc. instead of defaulting to whatever is set in the "Sort directory files" menu. I don't believe this is possible, is it?

Not sure what you mean by '"Sort directory files" menu,' but the thumbnail viewer's Options -> Sort thumbnails -> menu has 19 options (counting "no sort"). It is not tied to Windows Explorer's sorting mode.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
      Not sure what you mean by '"Sort directory files" menu,' but the thumbnail viewer's Options -> Sort thumbnails -> menu has 19 options (counting "no sort"). It is not tied to Windows Explorer's sorting mode.
      That's a shame. I think this would be a great feature for a future version of Irfanview. It's probably the only feature I miss from the default Windows picture viewer.

Comment

I use IrfanView as a 'plugin' in Total Commander. Browsing in TC, I gif an Enter on, let's say image number 3. IV starts and views that image. Now I can scroll trough the rest of the images by pressing the arrow-keys. I found the right image (let's say number 10) and press the Esc-key to leave IrfanView and go back to Total Commander. It would be very nice if image number 10 is selected now, but it appears to be sticked at image number 3. This phenomenon can be compared with the question in your topic. I think it's simply not possible to coordinate things like that between two different applications.

Comment

Hi insanity,

I understood your first post in the same way as Matera:
          it would be nice if Irfanview also sorted the files by
          I would have made the same answer as him:
          thumbnail viewer's Options -> Sort thumbnails
          So I don't understand your reaction:
          That's a shame. I think this would be a great feature for a future version of Irfanview.
          Maybe the answer isn't satisfying to you, in this case please be more explicit in your question.

Laurent
          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I say it would be nice to sort the files, I mean in Windows explorer, not the thumbnail viewer which is a replacement for Windows explorer.

For instance:

If I sort files by size in Explorer, then open the first picture in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer (the default photo viewer in XP), it will scroll through each photo by size. However if I open it in Irfanview, it will scroll through it according to whatever is set in Options -> Sort directory files in the Irfanview context menu.

This can obviously cause problems if I organize my photos by say, date modified, and then open the first photo in Irfanview only to find it scrolls through them by Name (ascending).
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi insanity,

I understand better your question.

Remember that when you click on the top of a column in Windows Explorer, you don't really organize the files on the disk, you just change the order in which the list is displayed. The same occurs with Thumbnail viewer's sort options. What can make you believe that the files are really reordered ("organized") on the disk it that Explorer remembers the setting the next time, but it just remembers what you wanted, there was no modification of the files on the disk.

Just like changing sort options in Explorer doesn't affect IrfanView, changing sort options in IrfanView (and Thumbnails viewer) doesn't affect Explorer.

To display your images in a custom order with IrfanView, one way is to use Thumbnails viewer sort options. Another one is to create a slideshow (and to save it for later use if you want): File / Slideshow (W).

Laurent
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
              X