End Of Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested End Of Folder

In Properties\Misc.1 the option 'If the end/begin of the folder is reached, loop current folder' is unchecked in my system. Reaching the end of a folder, I get the Browse Subfolders dialog (see attachment). It would be more usable if the number of images are directly shown in stead of a question-mark.
    Attached Files

A selection reveals image count!

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
    It would be more usable if the number of images are directly shown in stead of a question-mark.
    If you select the directories, the question-marks change to the number of images. But, I agree, it should do this automatically.

Comment

I disagree if this would slow the program down. It would mean that IV would need to scan every folder to count the number of supported images.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.08.2008, 04:19 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You don't want to browse another directory each time the end is reached, which means that IV would be wasting time trying to count the contents of every subfolder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I disagree if this would slow the program down. It would mean that IV would need to scan every folder to count the number of supported images.
          Originally posted by j7n View Post
          You don't want to browse another directory each time the end is reached, which means that IV would be wasting time trying to count the contents of every subfolder.
          Where would it be slowing the program down? If you've reached the Browse Subfolders dialog, the program is doing nothing anyway. If you wanted to do something else, why couldn't it terminate its scan of the directories?

Why would Sjef suggest this if he knew it would slow the program down? Unless you have a million files and directories, would there really be that much of a performance issue? Maybe this could be an option that can be turned off in that case. I think if you're considering which directory to select anyway, it probably will already be done by then.

Comment

The browse dialog is currently more like a informational message stating that the end of directory has been reached. A part of users would just dismiss this window without looking at the other directories, which makes counting files pointless. It has also been requested that this window should be disabled altogether.

Perhaps there should be a choice between nothing (a PC speaker beep only) and the full-blown browse dialog with counting and all.

File count could be slow over high latency mediums like CD, network, USB sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
              The browse dialog is currently more like a informational message stating that the end of directory has been reached. A part of users would just dismiss this window without looking at the other directories, which makes counting files pointless. It has also been requested that this window should be disabled altogether.
              Well, then how did it ever manage to get incorporated into version 3.97? We already had the info box and beep in previous versions.

Perhaps there should be a choice between nothing (a PC speaker beep only) and the full-blown browse dialog with counting and all.
              I support this.

File count could be slow over high latency mediums like CD, network, USB sticks.
              Absolutely, but what is the problem? Users don't want unnecessary processing or disk access? Would it just be distracting or annoying to users to have to watch the totals appear, even if they didn't need them? Thus, they would feel compelled to wait for them to finish?

Comment

I actually just posted a thread about this topic right before I saw this one already existed. Oops! Anyway, I would rather not have anything alert me that I reached the end of the folder, just let me continue clicking next or previous and looping through the images forever if I want. A PC beep would be almost as annoying as the popup that I have to click.
                ~~Phil Nolan
                3D Modeler & Animator
                www.philnolan3d.com

Comment

I vote for you Philbert!

Comment

Originally posted by Philbert View Post
                    I actually just posted a thread about this topic right before I saw this one already existed. Oops! Anyway, I would rather not have anything alert me that I reached the end of the folder, just let me continue clicking next or previous and looping through the images forever if I want. A PC beep would be almost as annoying as the popup that I have to click.
                    You can already do that. Just check "If the end/begin.....loop current folder" in Misc1 of the Properties/settings dialog. This thread is discussing what the alert should be if you do choose to have one.

Comment

In Properties\Misc.1 the option 'If the end/begin of the folder is reached, loop current folder' is unchecked in my system. Reaching the end of a folder, I get the Browse Subfolders dialog (see attachment). It would be more usable if the number of images are directly shown in stead of a question-mark.
                      Originally posted by Philbert View Post
                      Anyway, I would rather not have anything alert me that I reached the end of the folder, just let me continue clicking next or previous and looping through the images forever if I want. A PC beep would be almost as annoying as the popup that I have to click.
                      I vote for you Philbert!
                      If you agree with Philbert, then why are you unchecking the option? After this discussion, do you still want this feature, Sjef?

Comment

I don't really have unchecked the option, but to make my story clear I only said I did.

When I start MS-Word 2003, I long with great nostalgic feelings for MS-Word 6 which was in my opinion the best word processor ever. Enough features to do the job. Seen in that context I don't need an End-of-folder warning and certainly not the Browse Subfolders dialog where you can select other folders.

Having said that, I'd like this option to count the files in the subfolders right away, without first having to select the specific subfolder. I don't think it will slacken the speed of IrfanView. The only reason I'd use this option is to quickly count the files in all subfolders. I like the way to use the arrow keys to browse in this dialog and I can imagine other users are glad with the Browse Subfolders dialog.

Comment

Working...
                        X