v4.23/v4.00: Thumbnail mode crashing in Vista32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed v4.23/v4.00: Thumbnail mode crashing in Vista32

I'm running Vista 32bits and Irfanview 4.00 on a Athlon64 3000+ single core. Jumping between folders in thumbnails mode crash Irfanview.

Tried the same with Irfan 3.98 thumb mode (on Vista) and it crashed too.

Crash report follows (translated from Vista portuguese/brazilian error report):

Event: APPCRASH
    Application name: i_view32.exe
    Application version: 4.0.0.0
    Application timestamp: 462ccb55
    Failure module: ntdll.dll
    Failure module version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Failure module timestamp: 4549bdc9
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception displacement: 0006258f
    Operating System version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locality Identification: 1046
    Additional information 1: 81ce
    Additional information 2: 05357eb8d8580530f5477ecea8e50447
    Additional information 3: e9d5
    Additional information 4: 6b0990b5e61af323695d8067c40c2a66

Thumbs crashing confirmed for IrfanView 4.23

The crash behaviour on VISTA32 is confirmed also for IrfanView 4.23.

When sampling the data of a directory with many pictures or when changing folders after a short while a message pops up about program not working right any more and that it will be shut down.

It still works in folders with a small number of pictures (12 to 15 seems to be okay, 20 and above nearly inevitably causes a crash). Thus it looks like a memory limitation issue.

My system has 3GB RAM, so it shouldn't be a physical border but something about VISTA handling memory.

Therese

Comment

Whatever your experience Telepski, I would still recommend MBV to update to the latest version of IrfanView.
      Many of us had similar problems involving a conflict with ntdll.dll in IV Thumbnails that were solved by issue 4.20 and subsequent releases. Those problems were believed to be associated with dual-core processors (which MBV does not have) but it might still be something that has been fixed already.
      V4.20 did not solve everybody's problems though and you, Telepski, are clearly one of those unfortunate users who are still waiting for a solution.

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your hint.

I was running IV 4.23, which is the latest version as far as I know.

The problem turned out to be you have to place the config (INI) file in the User's and not in the program's directory.

After a de- and reinstall with the (non standard) option to place the INI file in the user dir everything seems to work fine again.

As another post regarding VISTA problems revealed the thumbs aren't the only part of IrfanView that are affected by the way this OS handles virtual storing. Thus probably the best workaround would be to always use the 'user dir' option when installing on VISTA.

Sincerely,

Therese

Comment

Glad you have solved your problem Telepski and thank you for the feedback. It all helps to build up a picture of possible causes of the problems that users report. Although I was aware of some of the results of trying to write to INI files in the Program files directory of Vista, I did not recognize the symptoms you described as a possible consequence.

Comment

This message comes a little bit late, but the problem was solved!

see:
            - "Thumbnail windows crash with exif.dll!"

Comment

Working...
            X