Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selection bug in v4.00

Hello all.

I found bug related to selecting part of image. If some are is selected and I scroll image (in case it doesn't fit to screen), to select more, selection moves along.

I even generated poor screen recording about this problem. I hope that someone (at least author) can view this. I happened to make it in such format that seems to unconvertable and it's only viewable in WMP in XP. At least people report that. Tell me, if this is problem and I'll try harder.

Video:

Although, I hope that bug can be repeated very easily.
    Here are steps:

1) Open large image in IrfanView
    2) Select something
    3) Scroll image
    4) If unsuccessful, try different ways (selecting at bottom, scrolling up, different selection sizes)

I hope it's now clear

P.S: Great program. See how easy is to become famous world-wide. You just code something good and share it for free.

Thanks, Irfan Skiljan

I can't find any irregular behaviour so far, I'm afraid.
    What is the method of selection ?
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sorry, I forgot the most important part!

Problem appears when you resize the selection area that's partly outside of the window. It's not supposed to behave in this way.

Comment

Ah, I was about to post about the same issue. Not even need to search, this post is the topmost!
        Perhaps I can provide more information, though:

Apparently, IV manages the selection relative to the window, not to the displayed image.
        It shows, for example, when I make a selection in a small image, then I resize the window to be able to see the selection size in the title bar: the image is moved to be kept centered in the window, but the selection remains at the same place!
        Same problem when zooming in or out.

Another big issue with selection: I use IV to crop scanned images (remove borders out of the scanned sheet/image), because the resizable selection is very convenient, and IV starts very fast...
        The problem is when the image is larger than the display (to keep a reasonable precision), I start the selection at the top-left corner, then drag to the bottom-right one.
        Here, I have the choice to use the auto-scroll, but it needs to constantly move the mouse cursor to keep it scrolling, and it is veeery slow, so it is very inconvenient.
        The other choice would be to move the scrollbar thumb down, then resize the bottom part of the selection. Fine, but the top of the selection is now at the top of the window. If I crop now, I get all the top of the image chopped off!

Sooo, I believe that if Irfan changes his code to position selection relative to the image coordinates (pixels) instead of relative to the window, it might complicate the code but it would greatly ease our life!

Thank you.

Comment

Crystal clear phiLho! And the rightmousebutton cannot choose between two functions in this case. 1. moving the selection and 2. moving the image. Zooming by Ctrl+mousewheel will destroy the selection also. Moving with the scrollbars will 'crop' the selection.

Comment

I'm having the same issue.

When I'm trying to crop a large image that extends out of the screen. I can drag the box to the top of the crop, start moving my view farther down and move the bottom in the process, but the top of the box doesn't always stay. I have also seen it happen with the left side and scrolling to the right.

Looks exactly like it does in ketas's video.

Comment

Yes, same cropping problem here. Very annoying.

Comment

I have observed that the selection is maintained relative to the image unless the "Center image in window" option is chosen. With my normal preferences in force - fit window to image, not centered - I have no problems with selections.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Allready tried to adjust the selection? When scrolling down with the ?hand? (rightmousebutton) to adjust the selection downwards, the top of the selection is cropped.

Comment

I joined this forum just to research this issue. I'm glad the search function works here!

Further data points:
                    • Previous versions did not behave this way.
                    • It always happens for images larger than the screen size.
                    • Annoying, but not bad enough to make me use another program (at least not yet).

For anyone else coming here after me, the thread titled "Image selection bug" appears to be discussing the same issue.
                    Last edited by dave_08057; 09.09.2007, 01:24 PM. Reason: Added cross link

Comment

Working...
                    X