Icon Plugin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icon Plugin question

I can't find any way to set different icons for each image file type with IrfanView on Windows XP. Is this possible or is the only option to have the "flat cat" icon with the file type names in different colors above the cat? I have installed the plugin. On Windows 98, you could open any folder then go to Folder Options, choose the file type from the File Types list then there was an option to "Change icon". In XP there is no such option. Is there some place within IrfanView to set up different icons for each file type?

Properties, Extensions, Miscellaneous, Use different icons (Plugin).
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I did that. All that does is put the name of the file type above the cat icon. I don't see any options for changing the actual icon to something else like I could in Win98. I'm using an older version of IV (3.92) but my husband just installed the latest version on his computer and he has the same icon options that I have in my version. He can't change his either but he was content to just change the cat to the palm tree icon that comes with IV. I'm kind of surprised that Irfan hasn't added new icons after all these years but I guess it's more important to update the more important parts of the program. I'm content to live with the cat icon but my husband brought this issue up and I thought I'd ask if there was any way to change them. I guess there's not.

Comment

In XP it's possible if using Total Commander : File / Associate with.. Then "Change icon". Like this :

Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Fontlady View Post
          On Windows 98, you could open any folder then go to Folder Options, choose the file type from the File Types list then there was an option to "Change icon". In XP there is no such option.
          In XP, it is the same. Just Click Advanced, and you shall find what you are looking for.

Comment

The only options that I get in that screen for JPG are Change and Restore. Perhaps I need to choose Restore first to remove the IrfanView icon plugin settings. The Restore button is where the Advanced button is in your screenshot, Skippybox.

Comment

Try the updated icon.dll file. I used 7-Zip to compress it, because it is much too big as a ZIP file to attach here. You can also download it from the Rapidshare link by visiting this other thread, but it would be quicker to download 7-Zip and install that. IZarc or recent versions of WinZip will also open 7z archives. Extract the archive to your IrfanView\plugins\ folder to replace the default icons.dll (backup recommended).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.02.2009, 09:32 PM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Fontlady View Post
                The only options that I get in that screen for JPG are Change and Restore. Perhaps I need to choose Restore first to remove the IrfanView icon plugin settings. The Restore button is where the Advanced button is in your screenshot, Skippybox.
                If you want to keep the association with IrfanView and change the icon, this does present a problem. You are correct, that a Restore button appears in place of the Advanced button, due to the fact that you associated with irfanView. I really don't know why XP does this, but I guess it is to maintain the previous association, in case you accidentally change it.

In any case, there is a way around this, but it isn't exactly convenient. If I can think of another way, I'll let you know.

What you need to to do is un-associate IrfanView with whatever file type(s) you want changed (do this in IrfanView). Now go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types and choose the extension you want to edit. Click Advanced, choose "open" under Actions and click Edit.

Now, because we are going to change this, it is best to back up the entry. So, copy the text in "Application use to perform action", and either save it someplace in a text file, or choose Cancel. If you chose Cancel, click New, type open2 in "Action", paste the copied text in the "Application use to perform action" box, and click OK. Now, you only should have to do this once (we just placed an action on the context menu, that will open the file in the default application, that way you can restore it later). You only need to backup once each unique application, so if all your images use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, then just do it for the first one.

Go back to "open" and click Edit. Replace the text in "Application use to perform action" with your path to the IrfanView executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"), uncheck "Use DDE" and click OK. Now just change the icon. Repeat the process for each other file type you want changed. Basically, if you don't need to backup anymore, you just need to Edit each "open" action and change the icons.

Comment

I found a better solution, but it is a bit more dangerous. It involves going into the registry, so you should use it cautiously.

Here is an example of how to change JPG's icon if associated with IrfanView:
                  1. Undo the plugin icons, if desired, in ...>Extensions>Miscellaneous
                  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box
                  3. In the Registry Editor, navigate to:
                    My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.JPG\DefaultIc on
                  4. Click on Default, right click, choose Modify
                  5. Edit the path to the location of an icon you wish to use
                    • Do NOT use quotes!
                    • You can enter the path to an ICO, EXE, or DLL
                    • For EXE or DLL, you also need to type the code number for the icon in the library
                    • If you don't know the number of the icon you want, then go into a filetype where the Advanced button is available, and choose Change Icon. Browse to, or type in the path to the library, and you will get the icons arranged by number. Code numbers start with 0 for the first icon and increment as you move down the icons (NOT across) in the box. Count to the icon you want, and type after the path and a comma, that number in the Registry Editor (e.g. C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Icons.dll,14)
                  6. Click OK and either do another icon or close the Editor.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I will just stick with the cat for now. I'd kind of gotten used to it until my husband brought this up the other day.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind, if working with Regedit :
                      It doesn't have a 'save' option, everything one edits is immediately changed in the registry.
                      So be aware of the status, when closing the editor.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I've made a few new Irfanview icons Using my Cat's eye...

These can be installed by replacing the icons.dll file in Irfanivew's plugins with this one ..

I hope these cover the file types you use.
                        It really annoys me that these cannot be used in Vista or W7

Comment

I keep having a problem with the icons.dll please let me explain. I had irfanview installed with the icons.dll in the plugins folder from irfanview and it worked fine. Then i did a reset with a program called (openwithclear) to delete all the secondary open with programs. After that i cannot use the custom icons.dll in irfanview anymore but all the other icons from other programs are all ok. I even reinstalled and tried with using a different custom icons.dll , each time i select the option in ifanview to get a different icon for each extension i see the panda bear icon and not the ones i like to see. I am dazzled by it and i hope there is a fix for this without to much hassle, much appreciated and i use iv for years but Oo those icons

Wfg: Henk.

Comment

The Panda is not a part of the icons.dll ... in Associations >> Miscellaneous ..
                            Choose "Use Different icons (icons Plug in)
                            There's been times when the new icons didn't take ..
                            and I have to wait a while for Ifran to catch up.

You do have to have the All Plugins installed for this to work.

My icons ...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well i tried several custom icons by now but whatever i try i cannot get iv to load them, i see the default one and when i choose custom in settings i see the panda. I post a screenie with it here i hope you see what i got. And i did a complete uninstall with deleting all what registry scanner could find after and installed fresh, still same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X