Reducing image resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an image of a map, scanned at 450 dpi, which is 1GB as a bitmap. My motherboard only supports 2GB memory so I am unable to save the map in Jpeg format. Can anyone suggest how I can reduce the image resolution to 300 or 150 dpi ?

Are you're able to open the file? If so, slice it into four or five pieces, savingi each as a JPG, then use IV's panorama image feature to stitch the JPG pieces back together.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, but I'll still end up with a 1GB bitmap in memory with not enough space for IV to create a Jpeg.

What I need, I think, is software that will use disk as an extension of memory, and thus handle any size image, albeit slowly.

Comment

I just imported a JPG image (uncompressed) of 32 MB into IrfanView 4. My RAM is only 512 MB. I reduced the image with Ctrl+R to 50% and saved it to JPG (compression 80). It's now 2.5 MB. At the Ctrl+R dialog you can reduce the DPI as well. Your's is only 1 Gb, so it should work. Do you have your pagefile.sys in the root of C or in the root of any other partition? That's your present extended memory, so you need not any program that will handle that.

Comment

Many thanks ..... your solution worked !!!

I now have a very small jpeg file that will do all I want.

I'm very grateful for your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X