PDF Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF Resolution

A friend told me about IrfanView yesterday and I must say that I'm impressed! Great Program!

I have what's probably a newbie question, but I couldn't find the answer on this site.

When I open a PDF file it's very pixilated. The resolution is 96 X 96 DPI. How do I increase the resolution of the image when it's opened, so that it looks clear.

I'm using IrfanView 4 and have AFPL Ghostscript 8.54 installed. I have tried to open numerous PDF images/files and they all open, but are very grainy.

Thank you in advance,
    Keith Hughes

Maybe you could take a look at:

Why doing things the hard way while it can be doing the easy way?

Comment

Hi Keith,

Look at View / Display Options / Resample (free translation from the french version). If it is not checked, click on it. Here, it makes a notable difference.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Solved - Export hi-res multi-page PDF with IrfanView

I know this is an old thread, but I've looked all over for a free way to do this and Irfanview is the only way I've found. I figure other people are still trying to figure it out, too.

1. Download & install Irfanview if it's not already installed.
        2. Download & install Irfanview's iv_formats.zip package (located on their main plugins page at http://www.irfanview.com/ ).
        3. Download & install GhostScript from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/ (actually, I'm not 100% sure it's required, but it doesn't hurt to have it installed I s'pose)
        4. In Irfanview, go to Options>Properites>Plugins>Postscript Options. There, you'll be able to choose/enter any dpi/resolution you want and save the settings.
        5. Open a PDF file in Irfanview (notice how it opens at whatever dpi you saved in the settings).
        6. In Irfanview, go to Options>Extract All Frames.
        7. From here, it's just Irfanview as normal. Pick the format/compression options you want, the file output location, hit Start and you're set!

Magestyx

Comment

To change the viewing resolution, as already mentioned, use Properties, Plugins, Postscript Options. I find that 150 dpi is the most practical. A4 documents will be wider than the screen (or most screens) if you use 300 dpi.

Foxit Reader is not a solution to viewing PDF files in IrfanView, though I would also recommend using a PDF viewer for viewing PDF files. It is far better suited to the task.

To extract all pages as graphics, try PDF-XChange Viewer.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

majestyx: thanks for pointing out the resolution setting under "Postscript Options" - that did the trick.

BTW: Ghostscript does seem to be required. At least, before I installed GS, IrfanView couldn't open a PDF.

Comment

Novice Question:

Can I use Irfan View to convert pdf files to text?

Thanks in advance.
              SJ

Comment

Originally posted by S Jha View Post
                Can I use Irfan View to convert pdf files to text?
                Yes you can if the Kadmos plugin is installed. From the Options menu start the OCR plugin.

However, you may get better results with FreeOCR. Save your PDF files as a 300 dpi image as explained in this thread, and load those images into FreeOCR.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                X