Renaming Files With Total Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the time I use the program that does a specific job the best or the way I like it best. Like IrfanView to view my graphics. To rename files I use Ctrl»M in Total Commander.

That's definitely true. IrfanView's rename cannot compare to a dedicated rename program. But, it works for simple things. My point is simply that the Slideshow and Batch dialogs are similar in behavior.

BTW, how advanced is the rename in Total Commander? Can you construct an ordered procedure to follow for renaming?
    Last edited by Skippybox; 08.10.2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I'm a fan of the MultiRename tool of TC. So I had no need to seek for a dedicated rename program. An example of the dialog :

Last edited by Sam_Zen; 09.10.2008, 07:36 AM.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I I need a really advanced rename, I use a dedicated renamer. Free Commander has a good rename...
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I'd like to know which program (TC or FC) has better rename options, but I couldn't find the Multi rename option in Free Commander (I have version 2005)

Comment

The Multi-Rename feature was new in FreeCommander Version 2008.06, so your 2005 version wouldn't have it. It is in the File Menu and the shortcut is CTRL+M, but you can access it in other ways.

Here is how the tool looks in 2008.06a:

[ATTACH]892[/ATTACH][ATTACH]896[/ATTACH][ATTACH]894[/ATTACH][ATTACH]897[/ATTACH]
            Patterns_Summary info____MP3_____Picture-EXIF

Comment

Well, basically there's not much difference. And RegEx is only for experts.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for your reply and the screendump, Skippybox. In the attachment the rename option from Total Commander. I'll keep using TC.
                Attached Files

Comment

One of my favorite renaming tools is from Ulead Photo Explorer 7.0 SE Basic. It is called Auto Rename and you can create a set of rules for the rename in the order you want. It is sort of a batch procedure for a batch rename! Do you know any other renaming programs that use this? I would be interested in knowing. I really like the Re-pad feature. Here is what it looks like:

[ATTACH]903[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]904[/ATTACH][ATTACH]905[/ATTACH][ATTACH]906[/ATTACH][ATTACH]907[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908[/ATTACH][ATTACH]909[/ATTACH][ATTACH]910[/ATTACH]

Comment

So what did you find wrong with FreeCommander's Multi-Rename Sjef? Or should I say, what does Total Commander's Multi-Rename do better for you?

Comment

I didn't see the possibility in Free Commander to select a part of a filename to rename. Take for instance this names: Nature_USA_Flower.jpg and Nature_USA_Tree.jpg. In Total Commander I can select Flower.jpg and rename both files to 01-Flower.jpg and 02-Tree.jpg

Your Ulead Photo Explorer will be a superieur rename utility, bit it seams to me this program is made for users who just don't do anything else than renaming files.

Comment

How's this?

[ATTACH]914[/ATTACH]

So are you saying Ulead's Auto Rename is too good because it is so elaborate? It really is quite simple, just powerful. It is just one of the great tools in the program. I don't think the program expects you to only be renaming, but it does try to offer a lot. You can always pick and choose what to do in a program and I'm sure some people don't even rename.

Comment

You convinced me...

Comment

Does that mean you will be migrating? Are they the same now or is one better?

Comment

Hahah! Don't think I would change the Filemanager which I'm working with and used to since 1994 almost without using my mouse. No no, there must be a stronger reason to use other programs to do specified jobs. Like using our beloved IrfanView to view my pictures. Total Commander also views them, but not the way I'd like.

Comment

Working...
                              X