Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Reducing (Some) Images in Batch Mode

Hello.

I am running into a few issues when reducing images using the batch functions of IrfanView. I have the process of reducing the images down pretty well, I am just having a problem sometimes getting the dimensions I need.

My problem appears to be related to having the "Auto Rotate Image According to EXIF Info" option turned on. When I open my folder of images in Thumbnails, the thumbnails are rotated when necessary. I then select the images I want to compress, start the Batch Dialog, go into Advanced Settings, and set my Resize parameter to 800x600. This works fine for the images in landscape mode. However, the images in portrait mode end up getting converted as 450x600. (The original images are 2592x1944 or 1944x2592.)

I figured I could work around this by turning off the Auto Rotate option before performing the batch conversion. In this case, all the thumbnails showed up in landscape mode and I successfully resized all the images to 800x600. However, when I turn the Auto-Rotate option back on and viewed the resized images, the EXIF information appeared to be getting ignored, as none of the 'portrait' images were rotated.

Is there anything I'm missing in this process? Is there another way to handling this other than by compressing the images in two iterations--first reducing the landscape images to 800x600 and then reducing the portrait images to 600x800?

Using IrfanView 4.00. Windows XP Home SP2.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Gary

Originally posted by garyinri View Post
    I figured I could work around this by turning off the Auto Rotate option before performing the batch conversion. In this case, all the thumbnails showed up in landscape mode and I successfully resized all the images to 800x600. However, when I turn the Auto-Rotate option back on and viewed the resized images, the EXIF information appeared to be getting ignored, as none of the 'portrait' images were rotated.
    Well I think I've found that the reason for the EXIF being "ignored" on my converted images is that the option "Reset EXIF Orientation Tag" was checked under the JPEG/GIG Save Options during the batch conversion. Since everything was landscape when I did the conversions, the EXIF info must have been reset to stay that way.

So right now, it seems like my options are to either (a) turn off the Auto-Rotate option and convert everything as landscape, being aware of the "Reset EXIF Orientation Tag" during the conversion process or (b) leave teh Auto-Rotate option turned on and convert the files in two steps--once for the landscape images and once for the portrait images.

Or can anyone offer a better alternative?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X