Are Audio Devices Selectable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Audio Devices Selectable?

Increasingly, computers (including mine!) are beginning to have more than one sound system.

Is there some way to make IrfanView use an audio system other than the default ?

I want the usual Windows sound effects, error messages, etc. to come out the poor-quality default motherboard sound system. However I want the sound from MP3s or WAVs played on IrfanView to come out a second higher-quality USB-connected sound system. Some audio-related programs (Cool Edit, Skype, many amateur radio "soundcard apps" such as mmSSTV and MixW) let you specify internally what sound device to use, but I haven't found any such option in IrfanView.

(I've searched around the option menus and in the i_view32.ini file but haven't found anything to suggest this option.)

Is there some undocumented mystery entry for i_view32.ini or a "magic" command line switch to do this?

OR does this become a feature request for a future version ???

DETAILS: I am using IrfanView 4.0 on a Clevo 470 17" Pentium4 "monster laptop" with Windows 2000. The external sound system is a Griffen Electronics "iMic" USB-connected sound system.

I use IrfanView to play back audio clips of touch tone dialing, selective calling and paging bursts, and mobile radio data formats into the modulation input of a radio signal generator used to test two-way radio equipment. I create desktop shortcuts to a command line calling up i_view32.exe with the name of a sound file to be played as an argument, for each test signal to be played.

I can change the DEFAULT audio device in the Windows Control Panel, but this then causes the sound effects from Windows bootup, error messages, arriving email in Thunderbird, etc to also modulate my radio gear. It would be much more useful to have ONLY IrfanView use the external sound system.

Stephen H. Smith

Radio Communications Systems -- Personal Computers
    Consulting and Systems Integration
    GPS Custom Mapping & Radio Coverage Surveys
    File Conversions - MS-Windows Setups - Wireless LANs

Hi Stephen,

welcome to the forum

Sorry, but irfanview uses the windows sound control very "hard".

If you change the volume in the internal player, the volume for the whole computer sounds will be changed, too !

I recommend that you try winamp -> you can set a different output "source" for your music. Use an old or "light" version or winamp, newer versions will cost a lot of memory !

steve

Comment

Working...
    X