Browser icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser icon

The URL of this forum doesn't have an added icon to show in the location bar, and also can be saved with the bookmark
    in the browser-list (I'm using Firefox).
    I think a graphic program can do better than showing a dummy icon.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

You talking favicon? My browser, K-Meleon, ignores them because I don't care for the nuisancy things. Can't please everyone
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi,

i´ve been working about 10 days to set a favicon, but i am not able to integrate one ... maybe i can try to use the favicon from the old forum ...

steve

Comment

So it's called a favicon. Still learning..
        In HTML it's an extra line in the 'HEAD' tag, but I wouldn't know howto for a vBulletin script.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Favicon

Simply place the enclosed 'favicon.ico' file in the root directory of teh IrfanView website for the icon to be diaplyed in the browser address bar and in teh Favourites/Bookmarks list.

Regards

Skier
          Attached Files

Comment

The first position of such a file would be the root of the forum of course.
            I dunno if the vBulletin script has lines to search to a default 'favicon.ico' file, but I guess the path still has to be defined.
            Btw. Your example appears to be a GIF file not an ICO one.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Placing favicon.ico files is not the best way. I wish browsers would stop requesting these graphics on every site by default. Useless traffic. You should explicitly reference a given file by adding a new tag into your HTML head:

<link rel="icon" href="http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/great_icon.png" type="image/png" />

Works in Opera and Firefox, MSIE6 users can live without the icon. The forum must have templates of some kind. I've never used VBulletin myself because it's strictly paid.

Comment

I've added the 'link rel=..' tag in every head of my HTML pages, because I want the favicon being there in the URL-bar of FF.
                Plus the titlebar of the browser-page.
                On a forum it's a different situation, depending on the script being used, or, as said, some template.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Which browsers show the "icon" in titlebar? Does it have to be in ICO format for this to work?

In vbulletin i would do a full text search for text fragments currently visible in head. This will surely reveal whether they are part of a template, or are echoed out by PHP. I see that most if not all scripts are located in a single directory, so messing with relative paths is not required.

Comment

Plus the titlebar of the browser-page.
                    I apologize for this. It's completely nonsense..

Does it have to be in ICO format for this to work?
                    I suppose GIF would do as well. Other formats I haven't tested.

I'm a member of the KMPlayer forum, running on vBulletin too, showing a favicon, so I will consult the Admin about this.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                    X