FastStone Viewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FastStone Viewers

FastStone MaxView has many options for changing certain keys and mouse buttons:

FastStone Image Viewer has slightly different options:

MaxView Version 2.3 can also view images in password protected ZIP/RAR archives! It is shareware however. Older freeware versions can be obtained, albeit without the archive feature. I like version 2.1.
    Attached Files

FastStone MaxView is everything i could ever ask for,save for three things that have come to my mind whilst experimenting with it.

First thing is that "Lock zoom ratio" on Settings>Viewer>Auto Image Size doesn't function correctly,specifically if i set it to 100% zoom from 75% (original value,Lock zoom ratio enabled) and use "Full screen" mode it resets back to the original size 75%,even when reverting back to non full screen mode.If i don't go into "Full screen" it keeps it's zoom ratio just fine,however i tend to use it a lot and it's big let down.

Another thing is that there isn't an option to disable the bottom bar with image information!

Also does Enable Colour Management System on Settings>CMS option works on wide gamut screens?Shouldn't there be an option to specify the colour profile *.icc?

Last thing is that there isn't an option to permanently disable the pop-up window which appears on the left side of the screen when i open a .zip/.rar archive!

Again thanks for introducing me to FS MV,if anyone can help me with these trivial settings it's gonna be the perfect image viewer!
    Last edited by RaiGal; 19.03.2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I wanted to add,should i report the "look zoom ratio" as a bug to the appropriate forum?

What's more,is it possible to bind "Full screen mode" on a hotkey?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by RaiGal View Post
        FastStone MaxView is everything i could ever ask for,save for three things that have come to my mind whilst experimenting with it.
        Always be thankful.

First thing is that "Lock zoom ratio" on Settings>Viewer>Auto Image Size doesn't function correctly,specifically if i set it to 100% zoom from 75% (original value,Lock zoom ratio enabled) and use "Full screen" mode it resets back to the original size 75%,even when reverting back to non full screen mode.If i don't go into "Full screen" it keeps it's zoom ratio just fine,however i tend to use it a lot and it's big let down.
        Annoying as it may be, I see this as a feature. If you are working in one mode or the other, you always start with the entire image fitted. Plus, the zoom lock allows you to change the zoom without unlocking and re-locking.

If you are using 100% anyway, why not use Actual Size? If you need to get back to 100% in Lock Zoom Ratio, there is hotkey 1 or A. Or you could use the toolbar or right-click menu. Don't forget there are hidden panels in full screen and several other hotkeys.

For you though, the magnifier comes in very handy if you set it to Original and Full Size. Just click someplace and the image becomes 100% there! Release, and do it is somewhere else, or pan along.

Another thing is that there isn't an option to disable the bottom bar with image information!
        This is exactly why I don't use 2.2 or 2.3. Like I said, I love 2.1, which is awesome. Yes, 2.2 and 2.3 do have some added features. However, 2.1 is free and has the best interface IMO with a completely borderless window mode. It still has the hidden panels, plus an extra image navigating one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	79656

Last thing is that there isn't an option to permanently disable the pop-up window which appears on the left side of the screen when i open a .zip/.rar archive!
        This sounds like the same problem as above. Why they ever changed to this interface I'll never know. There should at least be a way to hide panes and bars if they can't auto-hide.

Comment

Hey skippy,

"Actual Size" worked out well,however if i ever want to change from 100% to 120% i have to "enable lock zoom ratio" which doesn't support full screen and that's a bit off.

As you said for some people that might be a handy feature,however it works the other way around too.If i set my image to 200% zoom and go into full screen mode it will just go back to 100% meaning of which the image i want to see in full screen isn't set to the zoom ratio i want (200%).And that pretty much shatters the idea of full screen mode for me.

As for the full screen tools/hotkeys what i originally liked in full screen mode is the complete absence of any tools/bars!

Tried out 2.1,i really really liked it but it can't read .zip/.rar files so it's a no-no option for me.
          Whatcha say skippy,wanna start a rebellion and get MV the way it's supposed to be?

Still,i think an option to enable/disable bars/borders could really benefit MV.
          Same goes for an option whether to enable lock zoom ration in full screen mode without resetting back to the default size as soon as full screen is disabled.

MV is far from bloated,if i might say it's exactly the opposite thing and that's why it could really use one or two more options!

Thanks again!

PS: Does anyone know if CMS works on wide gamut screeeeeeeens?

Comment

"Actual Size" worked out well,however if i ever want to change from 100% to 120% i have to "enable lock zoom ratio" which doesn't support full screen and that's a bit off.
            Well, "lock zoom ratio" does work in both modes, it just doesn't maintain your setting when switching between. Even IrfanView has a separately configured full screen mode and does that. I think the option is really intended for working between images, not the same image.

As you said for some people that might be a handy feature,however it works the other way around too.If i set my image to 200% zoom and go into full screen mode it will just go back to 100% meaning of which the image i want to see in full screen isn't set to the zoom ratio i want (200%).And that pretty much shatters the idea of full screen mode for me.
            It looks like you have a real specific use for this. Maybe what you should do is use more than one instance. Try setting MaxView as its external editor. To switch to full screen press E, then set the zoom level. Now you can Alt+Tab between the two instances without losing the zoom level. If you start in fullscreen with/without an image loaded (which is pretty cool, eh?), you can do the same thing. Plus, MaxView seems to remember the zoom level you closed at in window mode, if you can still use it.

Have you tried the number hotkeys, like 1=100%, 2=200%? CTRL+Wheel to zoom? SHIFT+Click for slightly different zoom?

Tried out 2.1,i really really liked it but it can't read .zip/.rar files so it's a no-no option for me.
            And you know how hard it is to find a .zip/.rar viewer!

Whatcha say skippy,wanna start a rebellion and get MV the way it's supposed to be?
            Sounds appealing, but we can send feedback FastStone's way.

MV is far from bloated,if i might say it's exactly the opposite thing and that's why it could really use one or two more options!
            I could see these as being good things to add.

Comment

What's more,is it possible to bind "Full screen mode" on a hotkey?
              Enter key will take you into and out of full screen. Double-clicking usually will take you in/out as well. In settings, you can start full screen for associated files. You can also go into full screen before opening anything!

Moving the mouse towards the bottom will reveal the taskbar...

Comment

Just sent my ideas on FastStone.Hoping for the best right now!

Comment

Working...
                X