Cannot install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot install

I had IrfanView 3.99 and wanted to update to 4.0, however, I couldn't update. So I uninstalled 3.99 version, but the problem carried over. Now I can't install any version. I have Windows XP SP2, Windows Firewall, Spybot imunization, Nod32 Where's the problem???

- Do you get any error message?
    - Have you tried re-downloading the installation file?
    Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

First of all :
      Disable or block at least any program which have a task to scan everything coming along, like firewalls, virus- or spybot-scanners, before installing a program or upgrading it.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

No effect

To Sam Zen: I have followed your instuctions. No effect. I disabled all scanners and tried more sources. Error message: Error in iview400_setup.exe, the program must be terminated. Sorry for problems.......

Comment

Try this: start Regedit and search for every Irfan-entry with Ctrl+F and F3. Delete every Irfan-command, -dword or -folder. Then IrfanView should install without a problem.

Comment

Does not work

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
            Try this: start Regedit and search for every Irfan-entry with Ctrl+F and F3. Delete every Irfan-command, -dword or -folder. Then IrfanView should install without a problem.
            Does not work

Comment

Nod32 shouldn't cause the problem, I think. I use it myself without any trouble within XP-SP2. My suspicion is at Spybot's immunization program. Maybe this program stops the installing procedure of IrfanView because of a plugins installation in the past. Looked allready in the quarantine room? Although IrfanView produced an error message, it's not a logical thought to blame IrfanView for not installing. Maybe it has something to do with a different Windows user account in the past (version 3.99). My first action would be the uninstalling of Spybot (and restart my system). Maybe not the solution, but only then you can take the next step. To be absolutely shure, you could first install your downloaded IrfanView version 4 at the system of your ladyfriend.

Comment

:<

Problem is still there. I don't know what to do more...

Comment

After applying all possibilities without any result, I'd restore a Ghost (that's an image of my system partition). Or reinstall XP. In the past I did this with less important reasons. I wouldn't know how to solve your problem after doing the things I descriped. Hopefully there's another forum member who knows the answer...

Comment

I don't think Spybot is the culprit, there are too many people using both that and IrfanView. You could smell the smoke if there was any connection - a lot of people would be burning mad!

I would try a thorough system "grooming" before doing anything desperate - clean up all temporary files (www.ccleaner.com), clean and defrag the registry (http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm) as well as defragging the drive (http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/)

AND delete the paging file at bootup at least once, just for good measure.

That is how I usually get myself out of all the crash-and-burn episodes that I get myself into (and believe me I do!). It takes some time but less than re-installing everything and tweaking Windows into submission all over again.

Speaking of Windows - talk about a prime suspect! I've heard from others who have had stupid problems with the Windows firewall, and with other security aspects of Windwoes. One reason or two I use third-party software all around! It might be some pecky little update that was automatically installed and defaults to not allowing anything new to run unless you track down some little checkbox in an obscure dialog that it hopes you never see. Have you been able to install other things recently?

Well, lots of luck, and make plenty of restore points...if after a couple of days of playing super computer housewife doesn't help, might as well do a clean start sob, sob
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi,

what about an re - download of IrfanView ?

You could also download a zipped version of IrfanView and you can change the exe files + plugins ...

steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                        Hi,

what about an re - download of IrfanView ?

You could also download a zipped version of IrfanView and you can change the exe files + plugins ...

steve
                        I always re-dl the files... I even tried to rename it, but it still does not work. I can install plugins package with no problems.
                        Last edited by nex; 31.08.2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                          I don't think Spybot is the culprit, there are too many people using both that and IrfanView. You could smell the smoke if there was any connection - a lot of people would be burning mad!

I would try a thorough system "grooming" before doing anything desperate - clean up all temporary files (www.ccleaner.com), clean and defrag the registry (http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm) as well as defragging the drive (http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/)

AND delete the paging file at bootup at least once, just for good measure.

That is how I usually get myself out of all the crash-and-burn episodes that I get myself into (and believe me I do!). It takes some time but less than re-installing everything and tweaking Windows into submission all over again.

Speaking of Windows - talk about a prime suspect! I've heard from others who have had stupid problems with the Windows firewall, and with other security aspects of Windwoes. One reason or two I use third-party software all around! It might be some pecky little update that was automatically installed and defaults to not allowing anything new to run unless you track down some little checkbox in an obscure dialog that it hopes you never see. Have you been able to install other things recently?

Well, lots of luck, and make plenty of restore points...if after a couple of days of playing super computer housewife doesn't help, might as well do a clean start sob, sob
                          Registry and drive already claened and defraged.. What is the paging file???

Comment

Hi,

you can't rename the downloaded file? Maybe it will be scanned by your antiv virus and you have to wait a moment. But if you have your explorer windows opend for a few minutes you should be able to rename this file.

After this, maybe you will be able to install the file.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
                              Hi,

you can't rename the downloaded file? Maybe it will be scanned by your antiv virus and you have to wait a moment. But if you have your explorer windows opend for a few minutes you should be able to rename this file.

After this, maybe you will be able to install the file.

Regards, Nils.
                              Ooops, misunderstanding, I CAN rename it, but I CAN NOT run it.

Comment

Working...
                              X