Plugins 4.22 is downloaded without .exe extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugins 4.22 is downloaded without .exe extension

I've just downloaded "irfanview-4-22-graphic-viewer-plugins" from http://www.software.com/download/937...viewer-plugins and I notice that the file in my download folder has no extension.

Note that I am on Windows 98SE and therefore I see ALL extensions, hidden files, system files, everything. The file definitely has NO extension. In hexedit I can see that the file type is MZ, so it is probably an .exe. This file has a size of 7,282 KB. I checked a different mirror for the same plugins, and the file offered for download is irfanview_plugins_422_setup.exe. Yet another mirror shows the file size as 5.8 MB.

How do these anomalies arise? It's quite confusing and, given the amount of viral software out there, worrying as well.

I downloaded it using Opera 9.64 and see the same result. The file size is the same as the *.exe file I downloaded when it was first updated (irfanview_plugins_422_setup.exe), and renaming the download with the *.exe extension will then run the setup program.

If I download the file with Internet Explorer 7 it is correctly named as irfanview_plugins_422_setup.exe

I suspect it is problem on their server and would suggest contacting them.

A validation check reveals 253 WC3 validation errors in the code on that page. I have reported the site problem to Opera Software.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2009, 04:18 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
    X