Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy Shop scan resolution settings cause print failure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy Shop scan resolution settings cause print failure??

It took me a dozen attempts before Copy Shop functioned and I think it has to do with the resolution settings. Not sure if the problem is my printer or Irfanview. The problem was that the printer, an HP 960c, made noises as if it was going to print, then shot the paper out, completely blank, without doing anything.

I could get a copy if I set the resolution low enough, but then image quality suffers. When I increased the Copy Shop resolution (1st window) to 600dpi, and adjusted the TWAIN settings (Advanced Settings in TWAIN window) to the same reading, the problems began. I was trying to do the copy in "Black and White."

Any ideas why this should be not working?
    Last edited by RonCam; 09.08.2007, 10:29 AM.

More information

Should have mentioned I'm using v4.00 running with Windows 2000 Professional.
    Scanner is Logitech PageScan USB. It has native support from this OS, no other drivers required.
    Last edited by RonCam; 09.08.2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Problems with new version??

I am continuing to try to set up Copy Shop so it will "just work" when I plug in the scanner, without having to "fiddle" with resolution settings. Will it hold these defaults for the next run of Copy Shop, even if I've used Irfanview for other purposes since the last scan? If I'm in a hurry, I need the copy, and not blank sheets of paper shooting out of the printer.

I'm suspecting my setting the printer to a high resolution caused the problem -- only guessing. There wasn't any warning that I did something that the printer wouldn't/couldn't accept. Or, a warning telling me that my settings were "out of range" and suggesting I keep within certain limits.

Any help here from those with more experience?

Comment

Revert to 3.99?

Irfanview 4.00 has crashed twice during attempts at using the Copy Shop feature. Of course the universal remedy is to reboot Windows and try again, but if this doesn't work, perhaps I should revert to 3.99?

I am using Windows 2000 and don't need tweaks for Vista.

I have already found the previous version and downloaded it. The only problem is I previously installed the plug-ins for 4.00. Will these conflict with 3.99, or no problem?

Please advise if I may use the latest plug-ins for 3.99 without problems.

Comment

Should plug-in version match main program version!

I have seen elsewhere on the forum advice that we should always match the plug-in version with the Irfanview version.

Could someone please reply with a link to prior plug-in versions? On the site, I only see 4.00 plug-in downloads. I think I need v3.99 downloads.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RonCam View Post
            Scanner is Logitech PageScan USB. It has native support from this OS, no other drivers required.
            Did you not install a twain driver for your scanner? If you didn't, this could be the reason Copy Shop can't cope with your adjustments/options. When there's a twain driver from your OS, this could be a reason for not working properly too. I did some copying to test your problems. I first selected the twain source, than scanned without using the scanner-interface (directly from IrfanView) on 100 and 300 dpi. Both in version 3.99 and version 4. No problems at all. We cannot upload attachments greater than 1 Mb, so alas, no 3.99 plugins here. Fortunately you don't need plugins to use the Copy Shop function of IrfanView, so you can try this function at your 3.99 version. Please let us know your progress...

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
              Did you not install a twain driver for your scanner? If you didn't, this could be the reason Copy Shop can't cope with your adjustments/options. When there's a twain driver from your OS, this could be a reason for not working properly too.
              Perhaps I'm unjustly accusing Irfanview when the problem lies elsewhere?

When the scanner is first plugged in, Windows pops up the "detecting new hardware" sequence, which includes something like "Detecting Storm/Logitech USB PageScan scanner." It recognizes the hardware by brand name and model, then without intervention goes ahead to install the driver. At that point the other functions the scanner appears to work normally. (I was successfully using PaperValet, for example.)

I was afraid to install anything else on top of that, since Windows seemed to be satisfied. So, you're advising, for complete and proper installation, should I get the disc that came from the scanner and look for a TWAIN driver?

Please tell me if there's anywhere in Windows (Control Panel, perhaps?) that I should look into, to see if this hardware has a TWAIN driver already installed? It is on the list of TWAIN devices, so I can select it from within Irfanview (as well as from other software that makes use of the scanner).

This is all a bit mysterious to me so if you still think something is missing please advise and I will go ahead, find it, and install. I'm being cautious because I don't want to mess up my Windows installation. Will continue to experiment while waiting for your reply.
              Last edited by RonCam; 09.08.2007, 05:36 PM.

Comment

There are several twain dll's (dynamic link libraries) in your Windows OS on several places. Use the search option to look into that if needed. Your Logitech twain driver should be in the C:\Windows\twain_32 folder. Windows keeps a lot of drivers to manage a lot of input- and output devices. But those are standard drivers without full use of the possibilities of your scanner. So in stead of a lot of experiments, why not do the logical procedure and install the disc that came with your scanner? Maybe than all your copy problems with IrfanView are over and done. It could be this installation makes a second twain_32 folder (and probably another folder with additional files) and my experience tells me this will not couse you any trouble. Besides, it's most likely you can allways go back with an uninstall.

Comment

Working...
                X