Auto-Rotate of Canon Raw Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Auto-Rotate of Canon Raw Files

I have no auto rotate of Canon raw files (1D3 to be specific) either in normal view of Thumbnail view. This would be very useful to me.

I recognize your complaint. My Canon (raw & jpg) files aren't supported eighter. The trick works fine at Nikon's NEF files though. I think it has something to do with the fact that the manufacturers keeps conflicting about raw format. In future this problem is over and done when we can enjoy the DNG standard.

Comment

Hi. I'm new here... been using IV for ages.
      The CR2 files from my 30D are not rotated in Irfanview according to the EXIF info. However,the jpegs which are created by the 30D are rotated. The program must be able to work on the embedded info in the jpeg to do that, so I'm guessing (hopefully not over-optimistically!) that the CR2 could possibly be rotated as well.

Richard

Comment

Hi,

I just took a look at Options / Properties. I noticed that
        - in the JPG/PCD/GIF tab, the autorotate according to EXIF info is for JPEG, not RAW;
        - in the PlugIns tab, there is one Canon specific options (use of Canon's dll); I don't know if that can change something (I owe a Nikon, not a Canon).
        Does this help?

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Welcome to this forum Richard. Your Canon produces CR2-RAW but my Canon (G3) produces CRW-RAW. So... there's two ways of handling RAW in one trade-mark. My CRW's are not rotated in IrfanView, my JPG's are. I don't care much for the rotate option. I rather do this in my photo-editing program. And with IrfanView in the View modus I use the L of R key to quickly rotate. As I said, in future, provide the RAW format will be taken seriously, there must be one RAW-format and for me it's obvious this will be Digital NeGative.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
            I recognize your complaint. My Canon (raw & jpg) files aren't supported eighter. The trick works fine at Nikon's NEF files though. I think it has something to do with the fact that the manufacturers keeps conflicting about raw format. In future this problem is over and done when we can enjoy the DNG standard.
            Sorry to jump into this thread like this, but I haven't been able to find any information on this anywhere else -- you say that "this trick" works for NEF files, but I am not sure what trick you are talking about. I enabled the option to auto-rotate jpegs in the options, but it does nothing for NEF files (obviously, since the section that option is in is just for JPEGs). However, it does auto-rotate the images while viewing in thumbnail mode, so it seems odd why it wouldn't do the same for just viewing the file. What am I missing here?

Comment

Hi,

The orientation of my Nikon NEF images are always correct in the thumbnails viewer. It isn't always the case in the main window. It depends on whether I have checked or not this box (see image attached below) in the Options / Properties:
              - when unchecked, it takes a long time to load a NEF image and its orientation is correct;
              - when checked, a NEF image loads much faster, but its orientation is ignored.
              Maybe it affects Canon's RAW too?

Unluckily, in both cases, the size reported in the EXIF data is incorrect, in fact it refers to a kind of thumbnail included into the NEF (160 * 120 instead of 3872 * 2592).

Laurent
              Attached Files
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks! That does make it rotate it properly for me. However, as you said, it does slow it down quite a bit, enough to make it so it would actually be quicker to just rotate them myself... Ah well!

Comment

Working...
                X