How to link sound with picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to link sound with picture

My (Olympus) camera has a "comment" feature, where I can speak for 4 seconds after taking a picture. This results in both a .JPEG file and a .WAV file, both with the same numbers (but different extensions) and linked so that they are supposed to be played together. Can anyone tell me how to link these two files, i.e., get these two files to play together so I get the comment sound while looking at the picture? If not in Irfanview, then in any common Windows XP program?

It can be done with the Slideshow feature of IV. I wrote about some aspects in this thread :

But even if the WAV-format is associated with IV, it won't work, as it should be.
    This is a bug, which I'm going to report.

So you have to convert your WAV file to formats like MP3 or OGG first, before it works in the slideshow.
    Position the soundfile first in the list, then the JPEG, and set the image delay to some small time.
    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 11.08.2007, 05:10 AM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Or you could try here: http://www.photodex.com/products/compupicpro/
      This program does what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
        It can be done with the Slideshow feature of IV. I wrote about some aspects in this thread :

But even if the WAV-format is associated with IV, it won't work, as it should be.
        This is a bug, which I'm going to report.

So you have to convert your WAV file to formats like MP3 or OGG first, before it works in the slideshow.
        Position the soundfile first in the list, then the JPEG, and set the image delay to some small time.
        Thank you for your reply. You have obviously done a lot of thinking about this.

I am not trying to do a slide show; I just want to view my picture straight from the camera and hear the comment linked to the picture (it explains why/how I took the picture). I use Adobe Photoshop if I really want to spend time loading it and seriously edit the picture, but I VIEW all pictures in Irfanview as a default because it works so well and instantly. This is where I want to link the audio file so I can view each picture and hear the explanatory comment associated with that picture at the same time. I tried to convert the .WAV file to an .MP3 but got an error message: "unrecognized codec".

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
          Or you could try here: http://www.photodex.com/products/compupicpro/
          This program does what you're talking about.
          Thanks for your help. The Photodex looks like a good program, but it appears to be for slide shows. I am trying to just simply view my picture with the the linked audio file at the same time. I know I could do it with the Olympus software, but I don't want to add that to my (growing) list of picture programs. It seems like a standard Windows XP viewing program ought to be able to link the two files, shouldn't it?

Comment

I'm afraid you have to install the special Olympus software for the time being. Maybe a Windows viewing program should support this Olympus-way of linking photo's and sounds, but you have to be patient about that I'd expect.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help anyway.

Comment

Maybe there's a workaround here by allowing to have 2 instances of Irfan View opened.
                The first one opens the WAV file, then the second one opens the visual(s), so then the first one runs in the background.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for your thought. I am just curious to know what links the two files (.JPEG and .WAV). I assume there is something in the .WAV file that tells it to open at the same time as the .JPEG file with the same name (they both have the same name, just different extensions). Or is it that the viewer program searches for a .WAV file of the same name as the .JPEG file? Maybe we will never know, but I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I find the sound very, very helpful when I view the picture, and it used to work on my old computer, but the best I've found so far is having to click on 2 icons to get the sound to play with the picture on Adobe Elements (which means I have to wait until Adobe Elements loads, rather than quickly viewing any picture). I'll let you know if I can improve on that.

Comment

Working...
                  X