about a custom icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about a custom icon

Hello: I have created a custom icon to be seen with 'my favorites' listing on my visitor's computers. It is 16px by 16px gif, and Michael Bloch, of Taming the Beast, suggested that I use a Irfan View to change it to an 'ico' file (I think that was the file type) so that I can put it on my website. Then when my visitors save my site in their favorites the little icon will attract their attention I hope.

So, I went on Irfanview and downloaded the plugins and now I have no idea how to use the plugins or where to view my icon so I can make this work.

I am new at this so if this is a dumb question I apologize
    Thank you,
    Linn

Just do file, save as, and choose ICO as the file type.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No plugins necessary for this. But, you may want to expand on your idea. Since a favicon can represent a shortcut on say, your desktop, you should also make some that are larger than 16x16 and have more than 256 colors. That way, it will look much better than an enlarged pixelated one with little gradation.

So, you may want to start over with the design, since the ICO format can handle 32-bit color with variable alpha transparency. IrfanView can only handle 24-bit color with 1-bit transparency (one color is fully transparent), so you may want to use the GIMP instead. But, IrfanView can create or save many types of ICO images nonetheless, if you do not need this.

The cool thing is that your ICO file can be multi-resolution, or contain several versions of your icon. IrfanView can't make one of these, but you can use this tool to do so, with the ICO files made in IrfanView. Or GIMP can make one. Here is how to do it in GIMP:

Creating-a-multi-resolution-favicon-including-transparency-with-the-gimp

Here is some more info about multi-res favicons, along with a tutorial in Photoshop:

Mysteries Of The Favicon.ico — How To Create A Favicon In Photoshop

You should realize how favicons are used with different browsers. Not only do they support different formats, but how the favicon appears can vary. Read this for more information:

Favicons in actual use

Comment

about a custom icon

Thank you both for your responses and your help.

I have now edited my profile. I'm not sure I put in the right Irfan View Version and I don't know what the last item is - so I left it blank. When I know more I will edit it again.

I'm off to try again. I'm going to start over with GIMP - thanks.
        Last edited by Linn; 18.04.2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X