Help: Can't Extract AVI Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Can't Extract AVI Frames

Whenever I try to extract the frames of an AVI in the IV External Player, IV tells me it "couldn't get AVI information," which makes no sense to me, since IV can play the movie perfectly fine. Is there a solution to this? I'd appreciate it.

Can someone reply, please? I've tried searching solutions and changing different settings, and putting the AVI in different formats, such as MPEG and WMV, but nothing works (when I try to extract the frames, I either get "couldn't get AVI information" or "couldn't get movie information"), and the only other topic I've seen on this forum about this same problem got no responses, either.

Comment

No problem here with the AVI files that I tried. Filecopy.avi — which is a simple frame animation used by Windows when copying files. Perhaps the export to frames feature only works on certain AVI file type. Do you have a link to the file that is causing problems?

I suspect that no replies were forthcoming because not many users use IrfanView for video file formats. I have never tried to do this before today.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Neither have I, although I have used it many times to extract frames from animated GIFs. I used my browser's "throbber" for a test just now. It extracted a flock of bitmaps for me, but they are useless, all trash-pixels. The AVI format varies a lot, I think.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Avi is a collective name for a lot of video formats. In the past I've captured a lot of bmp's from a lot of avi files with IrfanView. But if you want IrfanView to do this job, it needs the codec to handle them. So if your avi appears to be an indeo file, there must be an indeo codec in your system. In the attachment a little example of an avi file that needs an mpeg-4 Video decoder (codec). IrfanView will handle this file tiptop, providing that the codec is there. I replied earlier to other forum readers: here's an url to download a free codec package that'll solve your problems. Please let us hear about your experience on this.

Download K-Lite Codec Pack 18.2.4 FULL, STANDARD and BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a comprehensive selection of codecs
          Attached Files

Comment

After installing the codec, I could extract frames from a 40 Mbytes AVI video. That's a quick way to fill up a hard disk.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X