Bug - Slideshow File Errors (/silent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug - Slideshow File Errors (/silent)

The /silent option should ignore errors in files during a slideshow, correct?

i_view32.exe /slideshow=z:\images /one /silent

This works fine, unless the error is in the first file it opens. Then it pops up an error and won't continue. I have a terminal which is constantly showing a slideshow and restarting it from time to time to add new images. But, if a image has a problem, i_view may fail if it's the first file shown.

It seems it needs to load at least one image as the "current" image before it can ignore errors in other files.

Is there any way around this besides carefully checking each image that gets put in this folder?

Thanks,

-Dan

Can anyone confirm this bug?

Is this just me, or can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

Hi adipose,

IrfanView's help file says "/silent: don't show error messages for command line read/save errors". Maybe one can understand this in different ways. For me, read error can occure because the directory doesn't exist or access is forbidden. You were speaking of an error in an image. I don't know what error it is. Maybe the file has corrupted data? Then why not erase it, since it can't be displayed anymore?

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

How does the first file shown get to be first? If the first file in the directory is made the default starting image, files are sorted by name, and a known good image is named _0000000000001.jpg, would that do it?
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have it set up to show images randomly, which precludes a special image at the beginning.

To clarify, some images will have trouble being parsed for whatever reason. If they have an error, and I find out, I will remove them manually. But in the meantime, the slideshow (which are in a folder which I allow certain users to add images to) may stop with a popup error and hang. But, these errors don't cause problems normally! Irfanview just skips the file, like it should. The only problem occurs when the first file it randomly opens has the error...then it displays the error and stops the slideshow.

It seems it cannot ignore the error in this one case, currently.

-Dan

Comment

Checking

Is this bug currently on the radar at all or is it not going to be fixed?

Comment

To give an example of the problems this causes, one of the files it complains about is "thumbs.db" Obviously, I can't simply delete this file and move on. It keeps getting recreated and irfanview occasionally uses it as the first "image" in the folder. The result is an error which pops up and ruins the slideshow until there is manual intervention.

Right now I have a script which removes "thumbs.db" before starting the slideshow. But that doesn't fix the problem with other images that may cause problems with iview.

-Dan

Comment

The persistent existence of the file "thumbs.db" in a directory has nothing to do with IrfanView.
                As long as one uses windoze exploder as file manager, this hidden file will be created by the OS.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

To turn off thumbs.db:
                  Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

Beside the annoying web-popups, a nice tip about the tweak.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Dan,

Originally posted by adipose View Post
                      To give an example of the problems this causes, one of the files it complains about is "thumbs.db"
                      How are you doing the file selection so that thumbs.db is included?

Laurent

Comment

In my case the thumbs.db is in a shared folder which is accessed by several people. It would have to be turned off by each person, which they may not wish to do.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Comment

I am just doing /slideshow=c:\slideshow

I am not selecting any particular filetypes. I just want it to show all filetypes in that directory.

-Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

You could use something like
                            Code:
                            i_view32.exe /slideshow=c:\slideshow\*.jpg
                            Laurent

Comment

Currently I allow people to put many image types in there. I suppose I could put them all in, like png, jpg, gif, bmp, tif, etc.

can it be done with

*.png;*.jpg

?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X