color palette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

color palette

hey yall: I'm trying to change the colors on my XPx64 cursor. I've downloaded IrfanView OK, it runs OK, displays cursor file OK, but when I try to change the colors it asks for a color palette with PAL extension. I've searched my LAN, and this site, but cannot find such a thing. Anybody got an idea?

Not running XP, so i'm guessing a bit.
    And it's a bit vague too. Displaying cursor file with what ? Trying to change the colors with what or which file ?
    Afaik a PAL-extension means RGB-data about a 256 color bitmap in a (quite often) compatible format.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi azutjw,

Perhaps you can use
      Image / Palette / Edit | Export |Import:
      - with edit you can modify the colors using a color map,
      - with export/import, you can create a palette file (this is a text file containing a list of 256 triples of R, G, B values) containing the colors, then edit and save it with a text editor, and load it back into your image to modify the colors.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

color palette - more data

I'm sorry - - I thought I was being sufficiently detailed.

For Sam Zen:
        The cursor is the selected primary cursor, which I have set to be a large-ish arrow. It is a standard Microsoft ".cur" file, of which there are many variations in the "WINDOWS\Cursors" folder, where they have resided since Windows 95. The cursors are the Windows standard, provided with a legally-purchased copy of Windows.

I'm on the IrfanView site, and I did state "I've downloaded IrfanView OK, it runs OK, displays cursor file OK, but...", so I really think it should be clear I've displayed the file using IrfanView, and am using IrfanView to try to change the colors (the same cursor appears on my CAD program - SolidWorks - and I'd like a color with a bit more visibility than white).

Finally for Sam, what is "Afaik"?

For Laurent:
        Please explain in more detail how I can use Export | Import to "create a palette file". When I use these commands, all I get is a window asking the location of a *.PAL file. I didn't know these commands could be used for creating anything; as I know them they are only for exporting or importing a thing already created.

For ALL HEREAFTER:
        Again, my apologies - I am a moderately proficient user, and I only use a computer when I need to, which is mostly at work - - I am a mechanical engineer in an aerospace company. I have never been in a chat room, and probably never will be. This is the 4th or 5th message board I have used to try to answer technical questions which have too low a priority to bother my IT people with (they are very busy folks, and do pretty good work). Thus, I am essentially unfamiliar with message board protocols AND SHORTHAND (yes, I do know caps is equivalent to restrained shouting, I feel it's a bit justified).

Finally, I must (apparently) reiterate that I have already searched my home drive and my entire LAN looking for a "*.pal" file, and found none. I do not know what files are compatible, or where to find them. I had *assumed* (yes, I know about the real meaning of that word) that I must have a palette or 2 or 3 on my computer, since all my applications display in such pretty colors. However, I used the Windows 'search' function, looking for "pal", no dots or stars, and found lots of files but not one with a ".pal" extension or a name logical for a color map file.

What I need is either directions to find a compatible file (IrfanView Browse offers only the one extension) on my computer, given standard installation of all s/w; or directions to find such a file on the web.

Hopefully, this all elucidates my situation adequately, and I'll be able to stop wasting everyone's time with such trivial questions.jw

Comment

Hi,

i guess it will a bit tricky when you try to do that in IrfanView . (Nor i´ve tried editing a cursor file neither i´ve seen a pal file) -> so let´s say irfanview can do that passively.

I searched a bit and i´ve found an freeware cursor editor for Windows:

Try that one ...

Feel fry to ask us (whatever you want), we are a support forum

Greetings,

steve

Comment

Originally posted by azutjw View Post
            For Laurent:
            Please explain in more detail how I can use Export | Import to "create a palette file". When I use these commands, all I get is a window asking the location of a *.PAL file. I didn't know these commands could be used for creating anything; as I know them they are only for exporting or importing a thing already created.
            In that dialog window, just give a name of your choice for the palette you want to create (export) or the name of an existing palette you want to load (import).
            The export command precisely exports the existing palette contained in your image file and makes a separate file.
            Once the file is created, you can edit it even with Notepad.

Laurent
            Last edited by Laurent; 05.06.2007, 12:02 AM.
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

2 azutjw
              As Far As I know
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Many thanks to all - you have been quite helpful.jw

Comment

Working...
                X