Cannot open paths containing U+2215 character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Cannot open paths containing U+2215 character

IrfanView 4.00 cannot open paths containing Unicode character U+2215.

U+2215 (Division slash, a math symbol) is misinterpreted by IrfanView as a directory component separator. It looks like a forward slash but should not be handled as a meta character, but be taken as a part of the filename like any other Unicode character.

Attached is a jpeg file containing this character in its name. "Save Image as" in FireFox should preserve the name. IE users should rename the picture back to "FutureSex/LoveSounds.jpg" (use cut & paste for the renaming, don't try to type it).

Pim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pim; 17.08.2007, 04:58 PM.

/Mod: Moved from Bug Reports

A search for "Unicode" will find a few other threads on this. Irfan View does not yet support Unicode filenames.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Firefox preserved the name, but in this way : "FutureSex%E2%88%95LoveSounds.jpg".
      If Unicode is not supported, it's quite risky to use it, because, indeed, it can cause misinterpretations.
      So why use it in the first place in a filename ? You can also choose for "FutureSex_LoveSounds.jpg"..

Unicode representation also depends on language setting of the keyboard, etc.
      I made for myself a HTML page with possible Unicode characters here, but it appears that it shows correctly with FireFox, while I heard from others that it doesn't work with IE.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
        So why use it in the first place in a filename ?
        Sometimes you can't help getting stuck with a weird filename when saving things from the internet
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yeah, you're right. That's why I dislike spaces or extra dots in a filename. I stick to the Unix conventions in this.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Unicode representation also depends on language setting of the keyboard, etc.
            I made for myself a HTML page with possible Unicode characters here, but it appears that it shows correctly with FireFox, while I heard from others that it doesn't work with IE.
            Actually, the beauty of Unicode is that it does not change, no matter what language, codepage etc. that your system is set up to use. If you save a textfile in Unicode it will always show the same characters in other programs (assuming they support Unicode or are not otherwise broken and that the proper fonts are installed on the system). This is contrary to how it used to be (and, sadly, still is to a large extent), where a textfile made on a Japanese system would be complete garbage if opened on a non-Japanese system.

More reading:

A guide to displaying thousands of foreign and special characters in Web pages, with the aid of Unicode, plus notes on suitable multilingual browsers, fonts, editors and other utilities. Includes lists of the characters in each Unicode range that can be used to test browsers and fonts.

BabelMap - Character Map deluxe

As for IrfanView mistaking ∕ for /:
            Hmm, this is quite interesting. It shouldn't do that - it should simply react the same way it does with other Unicode characters, but it doesn't It's the same thing with ⁄ (U+2044 Fraction Slash). Although I'm not convinced that it actually confuses them, but rather handles ∕ and ⁄ in a special way.
            Try to open an image using these two names to see the difference:
            foo→bar
            foo∕bar

Comment

Working...
            X