Lots of files, long initial load time..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of files, long initial load time..

I do lots of browsing of directories with lots of image files (10,000+). If I happen to have one of those directories set when I first launch Irfan it can take about a minute to load. As soon as I delete files or change to an empty directory it loads in a split second. It also loads quickly if I exit Irfan and restart, but when I reboot it slows down again. Obviously the app is reading the files when it first loads, but couldn't (shouldn't) the DB of filenames be saved so it doesn't have to process them every time I reboot?

I have tried having windows index the files in my image directories, but it didn't help much.

Anyone else have this problem?

Hi tridim,

Options / Properties / Other2 and choose None as starting directory.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Actually, that wont help.. I need to launch irfan with my image directory as the default.

Here's what I do:
      I have a separate application that launches irfan every time I acquire a new image. I use Irfan as my image viewer and image archive system. That image is saved into the large directory along with the 10,000's of other image files. The downloaded(launched) image displays immediately, but irfan locks up for a few minutes as it's reading the rest of the directory. After that everything's fine.

Comment

Couldn't you divide up the images, organize them in subfolders? Although current versions of Windows have a high tolerance for numbers (high enough to seem unlimited!), your available RAM may have a lot more to do with how large a directory can be before choking up. I'm sure you have more than I do! lol
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Matera makes a good point here. A directory with 10,000 files.. This would horrify me.
          This is a good example how you can become a victim of what M$ has thought for us to be the right thing .
          'My Documents' - 'My images' - 'My music' .. These are ridiculous constructions, asking for trouble on the long run.
          No survey anymore, all kind of tricks have to be done with searchers and indexing before finding something.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
            Couldn't you divide up the images, organize them in sub folders? Although current versions of Windows have a high tolerance for numbers (high enough to seem unlimited!), your available RAM may have a lot more to do with how large a directory can be before choking up. I'm sure you have more than I do! Lil
            Well, yes that's what I end up doing (it handles 1000 files or so just fine). It's still a bug though, just pointing it out for the developer. As I noted, after the files are read initially it is 100% speedy the rest of the day. No launch delay at all.

Comment

Working...
            X